• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

PTSD and the forces

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
Got a friend whoes son was in the forces. After he left Ireland and left the forces he became unstable and got into trouble with the law.

To cut a long story short he is in a mess now as the forces appear not to support people with a 'record' Shame for him as they trained him up as cannon fodder then in my opinion failed to retrain him for civilian life and in the world of normalness he was uable to cope as well as suffering terrible flash backs

I see the hurt in her eyes and despite the fact she had told the story many times before she stopped just short of crying

L

Lyra

Founding Member
I think that the MOD changed all the rules following bad press re lack of support and anyone who has served regardless of whether they have been in trouble or not can now get help.

http://www.army.mod.uk/rtmc/rmhp.htm

I know several ex army and RAF who were initially refused help have since had a lot of really good help from here.

johnquick

johnquick

PTSS/ combat stress

Hi I have some very good friends who are ex service men who have COMBAT STRESS and have to live with it day by day affecting not just themselves but their family and friends, So I am trying to form a mental Health group/Forum here in Dunoon Argyll Scotland the first meeting will be held in the Queens Hall all welcome to come who live in the Argyll Area please see attachment

Attachments

Last edited:
Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Excellent first post johnquick, good luck with your venture. With current operations this is going to be more relevant rather than less.

:welcome:

mischief

mischief

Admin
Welcome johnquick :welcome:

Great to see that you've made it (y)

johnquick

johnquick

PTSS/combat stress

HI FOLKS!
thanks for your best wishes and welcome, at last I have found a venue to air my views and recive "RELEVENT" replys just great:clap::hug:

johnquick

johnquick

all metal health issues

please read attachment and discuss thanks

Last edited:
johnquick

johnquick

attachments

if anyone wants relevent information on Depression PTSS?/COMBAT STRESS
please contact me private and I will endevore to send you relevent information via email attachment or msn(y)

Last edited:
midnight

midnight

Founding Member
well done johnquick for doing a great job

T

tozca

Ex Military

I served with the army for 10 years and was diagnosed with PTSD a year after leaving. It is thought to trace back to my 3 tours of Bosnia during the ethnic cleansing. I would highly recommend the charity Combat Stress, unless you gay or lesbian and there in I came unstuck. The other patients made such horrid comments about sexuality that I never went back. So if you straight or in the closet, use them, if not maybe look elsewhere.
Katie

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I served with the army for 10 years and was diagnosed with PTSD a year after leaving. It is thought to trace back to my 3 tours of Bosnia during the ethnic cleansing. I would highly recommend the charity Combat Stress, unless you gay or lesbian and there in I came unstuck. The other patients made such horrid comments about sexuality that I never went back. So if you straight or in the closet, use them, if not maybe look elsewhere.
Katie

Well things have changed in the military in regard to sexuality? There seems to be a push that way, non?

As to Bosnia, I was rewatching the drama about the situation you survived, called 'Warriors' (after the mechanised infantry vehicle), did you ever see it?

T

tozca

Re Military

I was dismissed from the forces because of my sexuality, exactly 6 months after the law change. Things are not always as the spin doctors will make it out to be. The work I do now with LGBT people still serving and the bullying from all ranks because of their sexual orientation makes me think there may still be a long way to go.

Some People still getting their heads round women being in the military!!:eek:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Some People still getting their heads round women being in the military!!:eek:

True, I recall being told that women couldn't be paratroopers because the rig was known to be dangerous to the female pelvis, i.e. it could fracture it.

I'm not usually pro Israel, but they had a similar situation; they redesigned the rig.