PTSD And Suicidal Ideation

G

goodgollymiss

Wonder what the science of the brain receptor chemical is

C

Chris Walken

I don't understand all that neuroscience stuff myself. But, they certainly seem to have moved on from the old, screwdriver through the eye socket, days.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

That was an interesting article.That would be great if they could develop a medication to help with the suicidal thoughts in those with PTSD.

The article actually made me feel a bit better about myself.I've struggled with suicidal thoughts since I was very young.I'm not exactly sure how young I was when they began but I do know even as young as 6 years old I was having them.For them to find a potential biomarker in those with PTSD makes me feel less ashamed of it.My PTSD is from childhood abuse so now it's understandable why I had those thoughts so young,it was the PTSD and not because I was just a really messed up kid.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I read the article once again and this part gives me hope..

"We don't have anything right now in PTSD [that] we can give people to alleviate suicidal thinking rapidly," said study senior author Irina Esterlis, a neuroscientist at Yale University School of Medicine. "If we have a biomarker that is specific to PTSD," that may pave the way for the development of a drug specifically for symptoms of suicidal thoughts tied to PTSD,

J

Jules5

It is amazing what they are finding out about the brain through scanning. I always wished i had enough money to get a compartive brain scan. Thank You for posting the article. Hugs