PTSD And Suicidal Ideation

G

goodgollymiss

Wonder what the science of the brain receptor chemical is

Chris Walken

Chris Walken

I don't understand all that neuroscience stuff myself. But, they certainly seem to have moved on from the old, screwdriver through the eye socket, days.

G

goodgollymiss

Thank goodness!:):):)

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

That was an interesting article.That would be great if they could develop a medication to help with the suicidal thoughts in those with PTSD.

The article actually made me feel a bit better about myself.I've struggled with suicidal thoughts since I was very young.I'm not exactly sure how young I was when they began but I do know even as young as 6 years old I was having them.For them to find a potential biomarker in those with PTSD makes me feel less ashamed of it.My PTSD is from childhood abuse so now it's understandable why I had those thoughts so young,it was the PTSD and not because I was just a really messed up kid.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I read the article once again and this part gives me hope..

"We don't have anything right now in PTSD [that] we can give people to alleviate suicidal thinking rapidly," said study senior author Irina Esterlis, a neuroscientist at Yale University School of Medicine. "If we have a biomarker that is specific to PTSD," that may pave the way for the development of a drug specifically for symptoms of suicidal thoughts tied to PTSD,

J

Jules5

It is amazing what they are finding out about the brain through scanning. I always wished i had enough money to get a compartive brain scan. Thank You for posting the article. Hugs

I

Ian Sicko666

Explains so much. Always had suicidal thoughts, but then again daily traumas started when i was a baby. Which more and more scans where done, there's so much we don't know, and it seems haven't even started to explore even though the technologies been available. Lol, 29 scanned, bet there's a lot more just on this board than that that would gladly have their heads scanned. I have epilepsy, have had my head scanned at least three times, why wasn't those scans shared to every brain investigation going automaticlly?

C

change

I've made a lot of major, life-changing decisions based on suicidal ideation.

For instance, I have a strong refusal against participating in reproduction built right into me. Same goes with marriage. I can't make a commitment in action that I know internally that emotionally I can't follow through with.

I automatically shut down and quit socializing when it gets hard. I've gone so far as to move to a state where I know nobody and everything's completely new to me to avoid exposing people I'm close to to my suicide.

(I had a friend commit suicide once, automatically fled state to go crawl off somewhere and die; I've since realized that it's not really helpful to the people who care about you just drop off the face of the earth when you're having a crisis. I was young when I did this, I really didn't think I'd survive. The people I was closest to were tremendously abusive.)

A part of me is sure (100%) that this is how I'm going to die (suicide), but to be honest, it makes it incredibly easy to disassociate from. Like, I know that statistically, people with PTSD are more likely to die from suicide, and I 100% believe that suicide is an automatic response to an inability to cope, so I kind of treat it like I'm not really experiencing it, and I'm just watching someone else go through it, and it's just a natural response to atrocity. It kind of puts it in a manageable package when it's a symptom and not a character flaw.

The simplicity of my life and the lack of trauma in my day-to-day make it incredibly mind-boggling that I'd still be willing to disappear all of the time. Now that the trauma's gone, and over, and I've cut all of the toxicity out of my life, I SHOULD be better.

But I'm not. Ha ha ha. But since I've been living on borrowed time for the majority of this existence, I'll make the best out of whatever this is, however that may be.