• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

PTSD and feeling “fake” or “dead”?

O

orcas

Hi. I’m 22, diagnosed with PTSD but haven’t been to therapy in a few years bc it’s really expensive. I used to take meds for depression but I’m not sad anymore.

Lately I’ve been having weird episodes where I feel like I’m not a real person and I don’t know what to do. This has happened before, when I was a kid. I was just walking at a baseball game after school and suddenly I was convinced that I wasn’t real, like my body was a corpse just moving on its own. And people interacting with me were interacting with some version of me that no longer existed while I was spectating.

I just graduated college and it’s happening again, but really badly. I’m not sure if this is normal for PTSD-havers to experience? It’s worse than my normal “dissociation” for me. I feel like I’m actually a Thing, an echo, an object, a body and I need to check to make sure I’m not transparent or cold or fake.

I genuinely feel so crazy talking about it. I know it doesn’t make sense. I’m not even “sad” but I feel and sometimes truly believe that I’m a ghost or a corpse just walking among real people or that everything is all fake.

Is this a normal symptom of PTSD? If other people experience this, how do you stop? How do you be productive?

N

njmisdesperate

It could be part of PTSD or it could be a symptom of schizophrenia. It is an unusual perception. You can message me if you want to talk.

gay cotard

gay cotard

I agree with njmisdesperate. I have PTSD and psychosis, and I experience something similar in my early cotard delusion. 550A798F-5925-4E4B-8799-5F11C0A31ADB.jpeg

I

Imamess93

I haven't had that myself but I think it's something called 'Depersonalisation' or 'Derealization' from what I've heard from other people. It's a certain form of dissociation. Involves not feeling real or maybe seeing your own body from the outside.

When I dissociate I just feel completely emotionally numb and sometimes I can't remember chunks of time from when I was dissociated but other people who dissociate have told me they experience something closer to what you've described. But whether it's PTSD or Psychosis or anything else, please try and take comfort in knowing it's something that other people experience too and probably a response to stress or a trigger.

In terms of stopping it, I'd suggest the same things that help for dissociation, like grounding or holding ice cubes or anything else that keeps you present in the moment and makes you feel real (that's what I do for dissociation anyway but what I've experienced is not quite the same as you so sorry if that's not a helpful suggestion).

Hope you feel better soon :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Feeling guilty for being diagnosed with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
L PTSD and depression? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
D PTSD from abusive relationship? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 12
jajingna Book about PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
W PTSD after accident Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
P Living with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
E PTSD from hospital admissions? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
L PTSD from loss of Brother Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 9
R Need to understand my complex PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10
carlita PTSD and emotional neglect Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 21
00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986) PTSD and anxiety discovery Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 65
P PTSD and abuse those who cared for you Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S PTSD I Didn't Know I Had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
Tawny Getter Better - PTSD and CPTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 14
T Trying to deal with a roommate that has PTSD and other issues. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
angel1982 prazosin for PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
B Helping someone with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6
K Can long term PTSD lead to psychosis/schizophrenia Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
J Could this be PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
Z Is this PTSD? Petty problem, but still.. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
U is this PTSD? **** trigger warnings, abuse described **** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
P Is it PTSD, or something else? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
S Is this part of PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
O PTSD and blocking most events out Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
S Support with Partner Who Seems to Be Struggling with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
fireandairo TW Ptsd emotional and drug abuse Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
C PTSD cheating/physical abuse.. partner doesn’t support me.. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
K I have OCD and PTSD, a recent guy on the internet is triggering me to have bad panic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
C How long does PTSD last? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
lizard56 Do I have PTSD? Please help! Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
9 PTSD Suffocating ***TRIGGER - Discusses abuse *** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10
K Mind-Body Workbook for PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
micas Do I have PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
B PTSD because of traumatic psychiatric hospital experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 13
H Past relationship and ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
A Alcohol anaesthetised PTSD... Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S Is this PTSD or just trauma? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S PTSD from emotionally abusive relationship...do I leave now things are getting better? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 26
B What is considered a traumatic event to be considered PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
P Told dont need ptsd, agoraphobia diagnosis because autism diagnosis. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 9
L Negative criticism PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
B Depakine, olanzapine for ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
H PTSD involving Emergency contraception **Trigger warning - sexual assault Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
Jess96 Complex PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
M Is it worth it to file lawsuit for past bullying leading to PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
S PTSD - strange aftermath/ effect on body - anyone relate? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 15
P Feeling overwhelmed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
R Concerned about how I've been feeling Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6