• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

PTSD and anxiety discovery

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

How did you find out you have PTSD @00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

How long ago were you diagnosed? I was diagnosed about 10 years ago.
It’s not really hard to answer because I had past PTSD and I kind of have current PTSD. I feel like I’ve matured in my recovery were i developed sone new PTSD triggers over anxiety attacks. But things that used to cause me PTSD back in the day it’s a whole other story.

current ptsd with last five years
-minor inflictions or mistakes
-that I no longer drive a car or work
-that I feel anxious for long periods of time

past ptsd over 15 years ago
-delusional episodes
-fear of death
-paranoia
-crying spells
-confusion and false beliefs

I cope by medication mostly and distraction and I also avoid stuff. Weird thinking about all the different coping strategies like (running away) which I also feel I did a lot. What are some coping strategies you used?

LizBo

LizBo

For years I only thought I suffered from anxiety. But later I found out that I have PTSD. Has anyone else experienced this? The discovery of an anxiety “condition”that you didn’t know you had? What are your experiences with ptsd and how did you discover you had it? What was your onset of symptoms and how did you cope?
There are two types of Post Traumatic Stress Disorders that are based on 'experience';

PTSD - generally related to a single traumatic event like rape or a car accident

Complex PTSD (CPTSD) - is caused by a series of events or one prolonged traumatic event such as domestic violence, childhood sexual assault or frontline first responders like paramedics, police or soldiers.

It should also be noted that people can be diagnosed after 'witnessing' traumatic events such as seeing others die or being assaulted.

Not all traumas are remembered either. Some occur in infancy/early childhood or are so traumatic they're blocked by the brain for survival. However, symptoms may still occur which confuses many people due to not understanding 'why'.
*I must note, this doesn't mean we can self diagnose or dwell on what may or may not have happened. We should always seek professional advice if we experience symptoms*

PTSD and CPTSD are considered acute disorders and can only be diagnosed by psychiatrists or clinical psychologists.

Anxiety, insomnia, thought disturbances, depressive episodes and flashbacks are just some of the Symptoms relating to these disorders, but aren't disorders themselves.

I hope this helps you and people reading/contributing.
Take care;
Liz

S

SunnyDaze

I was diagnosed with PTSD and not cPTSD because cPTSD is not in the DSM.

S

SunnyDaze

It’s not really hard to answer because I had past PTSD and I kind of have current PTSD. I feel like I’ve matured in my recovery were i developed sone new PTSD triggers over anxiety attacks. But things that used to cause me PTSD back in the day it’s a whole other story.

current ptsd with last five years
-minor inflictions or mistakes
-that I no longer drive a car or work
-that I feel anxious for long periods of time

past ptsd over 15 years ago
-delusional episodes
-fear of death
-paranoia
-crying spells
-confusion and false beliefs

I cope by medication mostly and distraction and I also avoid stuff. Weird thinking about all the different coping strategies like (running away) which I also feel I did a lot. What are some coping strategies you used?
Were you diagnosed by a professional or did you self diagnose?

Do you mean you had symptoms then they eased up,something triggered you and your symptoms flared up? Just curious because I've never heard of "past" or "current" PTSD. I do know from experience though that PTSD symptoms can come and go and change throughout the years.

LizBo

LizBo

You're right Sunny.
I was diagnosed in 2015 with Acute CPTSD by my psychiatrist, but any formal paperwork will state I have PTSD due the DSM.

It's interesting to note that although current opinions say CPTSD is a more recent discovery, journals going back as far as the Napoleonic War discuss its symptoms in soldiers and returned veterans. WWI was the first time military psychiatrists phrased the term 'The Soldier's Malady'.

Whether or not CPTSD's official, knowing I could be diagnosed with 'something' was such a relief, I could've cried. I set about researching and learning how to cope and recover so I could have some semblance of control and peace in my life.

All these abbreviated terms are giving me headache

cptsd? Chronic post traumatic stress disorder I’m assuming. I don’t suffer from this anymore... butI used to have it really horribly actually:sorry:

my parents and my dog at the time got me thru it. And of course the occasional friend.

I kinda self diagnosed and assumed I got schizophrenia from the disorder. But it seriously did effect my life. The way I acted or spoke. I don’t have many long term effects besides some memory lapsing. All my other illnesses are unrelated.

S

SunnyDaze

You're right Sunny.
I was diagnosed in 2015 with Acute CPTSD by my psychiatrist, but any formal paperwork will state I have PTSD due the DSM.

It's interesting to note that although current opinions say CPTSD is a more recent discovery, journals going back as far as the Napoleonic War discuss its symptoms in soldiers and returned veterans. WWI was the first time military psychiatrists phrased the term 'The Soldier's Malady'.

Whether or not CPTSD's official, knowing I could be diagnosed with 'something' was such a relief, I could've cried. I set about researching and learning how to cope and recover so I could have some semblance of control and peace in my life.
I was so shocked to be diagnosed with PTSD. Honestly,I knew something wasn't quite right my entire life but would have never guessed that's what it was.

After researching it and going through trauma therapy I knew that's definitely what it was/is.

I still struggle when I've been triggered and I'm sure I probably always will. But I am doing much better than before I knew what was going on and before seeking treatment.

S

SunnyDaze

All these abbreviated terms are giving me headache

cptsd? Chronic post traumatic stress disorder I’m assuming. I don’t suffer from this anymore... butI used to have it really horribly actually:sorry:

my parents and my dog at the time got me thru it. And of course the occasional friend.

I kinda self diagnosed and assumed I got schizophrenia from the disorder. But it seriously did effect my life. The way I acted or spoke. I don’t have many long term effects besides some memory lapsing. All my other illnesses are unrelated.
cPTSD is complex PTSD.

I assumed it was a self diagnosis by your wording/knowledge.

I'm glad whatever you were going through was helped by your parents and your dog. I'm assuming it wasn't PTSD though because it doesn't just go away. It's a lifetime disorder that can be managed but not cured.

Hugs

R

RockyMountainsGirl

For years I only thought I suffered from anxiety. But later I found out that I have PTSD. Has anyone else experienced this? The discovery of an anxiety “condition”that you didn’t know you had? What are your experiences with ptsd and how did you discover you had it? What was your onset of symptoms and how did you cope?

View attachment 42875
View attachment 42876
I have C-PTSD which stems largely from childhood abuse and neglect.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

Even though C-PTSD is not in the American Psychiatric Association's DSM 5, most psychologists and psychiatrists recognize it as a legitimate illness, separate from the garden-variety PTSD, and it is proposed for inclusion in the ICD-11.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

PTSD

im sry :hug: thank you for sharing... I too feel neglected lately but I’ve been trying to share more.
I'm happy to hear you feel good about sharing more. Sharing and learning about yourself (becoming self-aware) are key, I think. With PTSD, your clinician may help you try to figure out what hurt you emotionally and she may ask you to get everything out that you may not have been dealing with.

Not all psychologists know how to treat PTSD. Some use "grounding techniques," which don't deal with the trauma but are helpful.

I went for counselling at 15 because I was really, really stressed and insecure. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder, and my psychologist knew I had PTSD, even though the term PTSD wasn't invented. He should have removed me from my parent's home. That's how abused and neglected I was. I ended up leaving home in grade 10. In grades 7, 8, and 9, my mom tried to send me to a home or school which she said was for "wayward women." She'd blow up and call me horrible names. I was her maid. I had to stay home and clean the house. She literally hated me.

At the time, C-PTSD wasn't known. With my major depression, I had depression and insomnia (couldn't sleep), but some people sleep too much when depressed.

Psychotherapy and medication (antidepressants) may be used together or apart to treat what I have.

If you don't have to go on antidepressants, I think it means you're functioning okay; you're sleeping and eating well, perhaps not too anxious, etc.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

I have C-PTSD from police brutality. I was slapped in my car twice by a police officer after he ticketed me for going the wrong way down a one-way street. I was also bullied by corrupt undercover cops at the gym. I was bullied so much that I learned they wear baseball caps and have other disguises on the road and at other times. For example, when I was in the studio alone, some entered the gym with their baseball caps on backwards and kicked a soccer ball at me. I was told I could photograph them for bullying me. I photographed two different ones the next time and they refused to let me leave the gym until I gave them my cellphone so that they could delete the photos. I kept the photos, which I sent to the Police Commission. I had to call 911 (emergency) in order to be able to leave the gym. I got eight traffic tickets in row even though I drive mostly BELOW the speed limit. I got two for speeding just over 10 km an hour, which I deserved, but I got one for having a for-sale sign in my car window when my car was parked on a different street, and I got the rest for parking at metres as soon as they expired. An undercover officer befriended me for 3 years to spy on me. Why me??? She insisted we hike in the mountains and the relationship was ALL ABOUT HER. Now I'm paranoid of the police. At one time I taught along side the mayor of the city I live in, thanks to my university education. I have an MBA, but the UC cops were bullying me profusely. How could I know all this and more about them if these experiences never happened? They did happen but Police Standards won't take action on them. I feel so violated for what happened to me.

I think I remember sharing with one of my therapist about my past traumas and thinking I had ptsd.

I believe she said she I didn’t have bipolar but a form of ptsd with anxiety.

to be honest I think researching brings up old feelings. But I get it I have schizophrenia. I’m chill with that because my meds work.

I think art therapy I was very receptive too... I believe it healed me from ptsd.

Ptsd means I’m starting another chapter I guess I’ll just be schio then. I don’t think I hear voices anymore, just suffer from ptsd and anxiety I think.