• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

PTSD and anxiety discovery

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

I am also a dumbass but i'm 100% certain of it so i accept that it was meant to be 😃
I understand it as a learning experience for future mistakes. To use avoidance which is my line of defense against ptsd.

I try not to make the same mistakes twice

if I do make the same mistake I get ptsd over fear of making it again.

examples are cursing in public, getting lost hiking or driving ect ect

Apparently now they’re using ketamine to help with PTSD. Which I don’t know if I agree with completely.

Is Ptsd different from anxiety?

If so, you may be suffering from anxiety. Anxiety is a common but very serious problem that can affect every aspect of your life. Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a type of anxiety problem that can lead to even greater levels of anxietyand problems over time.

Ptsd comes with feelings of guilt. I have felt guilty for years without realizing why. This explains a lot. I think my ptsd has made me feel depressed too.

There are four SSRIs/SNRIs that are recommended for PTSD:
  • Sertraline (Zoloft)
  • Paroxetine (Paxil)
  • Fluoxetine (Prozac)
  • Venlafaxine (Effexor)

F

Fightingtoo273

For years I only thought I suffered from anxiety. But later I found out that I have PTSD. Has anyone else experienced this? The discovery of an anxiety “condition”that you didn’t know you had? What are your experiences with ptsd and how did you discover you had it? What was your onset of symptoms and how did you cope?

View attachment 42875
View attachment 42876
I have depression and anxiety. I've also been told I have PTSD. I have been having anxiety and depression for many years. It's been exceptionally bad for the last 15 years. I was married to my high school ex sweetheart for 38 years. I found out he was involved with gay men on the internet. The last 15 years have been such a struggle I tried with counseling to work it out. He just continued to lie and I caught him two more times. His elderly father lived next door so I left. I have been living on my own for 4 years now. We were the hub of both sides of our family. All the holidays birthdays, barbecues pool parties you name it. It's all over it's all gone. This would be what I think caused my PTSD. I don't know what to do about it. I'm talking with a counselor every week but I don't think it's helping. I've talked to other counselors through the hardest part of it and since I moved out. I took a 13-week course at my church. Nothing's helping. How do you survive PTSD on top of depression and anxiety. I'm on meds but they're not really working. Having trouble going to sleep. I'm up for 4 to 5 hours after I go to bed. I have no desire to do anything or go out. I don't like where I'm at. I don't understand it. I'm starting to get angry about it.

I have depression and anxiety. I've also been told I have PTSD. I have been having anxiety and depression for many years. It's been exceptionally bad for the last 15 years. I was married to my high school ex sweetheart for 38 years. I found out he was involved with gay men on the internet. The last 15 years have been such a struggle I tried with counseling to work it out. He just continued to lie and I caught him two more times. His elderly father lived next door so I left. I have been living on my own for 4 years now. We were the hub of both sides of our family. All the holidays birthdays, barbecues pool parties you name it. It's all over it's all gone. This would be what I think caused my PTSD. I don't know what to do about it. I'm talking with a counselor every week but I don't think it's helping. I've talked to other counselors through the hardest part of it and since I moved out. I took a 13-week course at my church. Nothing's helping. How do you survive PTSD on top of depression and anxiety. I'm on meds but they're not really working. Having trouble going to sleep. I'm up for 4 to 5 hours after I go to bed. I have no desire to do anything or go out. I don't like where I'm at. I don't understand it. I'm starting to get angry about it.
I too have been cheated on. Worse feeling in the world. I sympathize with your pain and what your going through. It sounds like you are suffering from severe depression. I wish I could help you get your life back. But you made the right decision leaving. I stayed in my relationship and it was tremendously painful. I know it’s hard to imagine but you are going to get better and feel better eventually, I promise.

F

Fightingtoo273

I too have been cheated on. Worse feeling in the world. I sympathize with your pain and what your going through. It sounds like you are suffering from severe depression. I wish I could help you get your life back. But you made the right decision leaving. I stayed in my relationship and it was tremendously painful. I know it’s hard to imagine but you are going to get better and feel better eventually, I promise.
Thank you for your reply. I stayed for 10 years and tried to work it out because I still had two children in high school. My counselor kept telling me to leave. She said Men will come out when they feel like they've done their job and their kids are grown. I had a senior and a junior in high school. When they both graduated they moved out. He lied the whole 10 years and continued to do the same thing he was doing. We were living separate in the house. With planning and saving finally I was financially able to leave. My family life is over. I miss it so much. Never ever imagined I'd be living alone at my age.. It's very hard. It's lonely. It's not living. I'm just existing but I don't know why 😔

Thank you for your reply. I stayed for 10 years and tried to work it out because I still had two children in high school. My counselor kept telling me to leave. She said Men will come out when they feel like they've done their job and their kids are grown. I had a senior and a junior in high school. When they both graduated they moved out. He lied the whole 10 years and continued to do the same thing he was doing. We were living separate in the house. With planning and saving finally I was financially able to leave. My family life is over. I miss it so much. Never ever imagined I'd be living alone at my age.. It's very hard. It's lonely. It's not living. I'm just existing but I don't know why 😔
I’m so sorry. For what your going thru. It’s hard to hear but it will get better. Do you still have a relationship with your children?

I know it feels better telling someone I’m hear for you. :hug:

F

Fightingtoo273

I’m so sorry. For what your going thru. It’s hard to hear but it will get better. Do you still have a relationship with your children?
Yes I have a relationship with my kids. But the virus is a problem. My children are afraid of the virus and afraid for me to come around. I was told by my oldest son if I don't get the vaccine I won't be able to see them or his children. He has a 1-year-old son I've never met. 😕 I see one granddaughter most often. Maybe once a month. My other son has two children. I don't get to see them hardly at all because they are so afraid of the virus. It's really strange. I feel like I've lost everything.

Yes I have a relationship with my kids. But the virus is a problem. My children are afraid of the virus and afraid for me to come around. I was told by my oldest son if I don't get the vaccine I won't be able to see them or his children. He has a 1-year-old son I've never met. 😕 I see one granddaughter most often. Maybe once a month. My other son has two children. I don't get to see them hardly at all because they are so afraid of the virus. It's really strange. I feel like I've lost everything.
Once the virus is done you can start some new relationships hopefully *hugs*

S

SunnyDaze

For years I only thought I suffered from anxiety. But later I found out that I have PTSD. Has anyone else experienced this? The discovery of an anxiety “condition”that you didn’t know you had? What are your experiences with ptsd and how did you discover you had it? What was your onset of symptoms and how did you cope?

View attachment 42875
View attachment 42876
I was diagnosed with PTSD by a psychologist. Mine was caused by abuse in childhood.

I have had symptoms since I was very young. I had no clue that it was PTSD though. The psychologist recognized it right away when I started therapy.

I went through years of trauma therapy and now I just cope the best I can using the tools that I learned.