• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

psycologist

R

_red_

so i was offered a psychologist today. anyone have any thoughts or helpful information as to how helpful one would be in controlling the psychosis?

i would be grateful to hear your personal experiences

A

Apotheosis

anyone have any thoughts or helpful information as to how helpful one would be in controlling the psychosis?
I think it's far more a case of looking at ways of accepting, dealing with & coping with 'psychotic' experiences - rather than in controlling them.

Psychology is about ways in which things can be approached & related to that ease our suffering with them.

Of the approaches that I have looked into, that appear to be the most effective are - Trans-Personal, Pscyho-spiritual, Depth-Psychology (Jungian), & Humanistic psychological approaches. Unfortunately such methods aren't available on the NHS. At best you'll get someone with some life experience on the NHS, & at worst you'll get a snotty nosed, badly trained student who thinks that CBT & drugs (Meds) is the answer to everything.

R

_red_

oh gosh the latter sounds awful

altho is was a very nice lady i see that suggested her and i know she wouldnt let me see anybody thats awful....i hope

thanks kind of clears up what one does

S

scrappy

counselling is often less useful with respect to psychosis, but there is a lot of evidence that CBT can be helpful for teaching people ways of dealing with their experiences. Often psychologists are experienced in many different types of 'therapy' and will adjust what they do in relation to the patient's needs - hopefully that's what you will get.

You're dead lucky to get to see a psychologist - everytime I ask they say I am too ill to see one(!)

All the best

S

saltandpepper

Keep in mind that every symptom/claim will become permanent medical record.

iffybob

iffybob

Just my opinion ...........

... Its means that they take notes that are added to your record, and then will pick and choose which bits they want "quote" back at you at some other time.

The problem being is .... theat when you are ill , alot of the stuff that makes sence in you head, can sound like jibberish when read back out of context, if they ever understood the context anyway, which somtimes I wonder.

By the way ... they dont write down some of the stupid or impractical things they say to us, ... like one of the last CT tat said to me that I prob just "needed a good woman" .... , at that point I "just needed a good chainsaw" ....... :)