• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Psychotropics & Mental Health (as a treatment)

Aahbut

Aahbut

It's an interesting article, time will tell how useful it could be. I have personal experience of MDMA and drug resistant depression.

lucid scream

lucid scream

hmmm...I dunno. Ive heard reports from people using LOW---read LOW!!! doses of mescaline and having it work very well as an antidepressant. When I say LOW!!! I mean like a 'threshold' dose, like just enough that you barely feel it.
Once in another life not long ago some guy extracted lysergic acid from **morning glory seeds**, performed a recrystalization on the resulting gunk and ended up with very pure LSA HCL. A tiny bit of it was consumed by the neighbors cat who reported uplifted mood, increased mental clarity and energy that lasted about 24 hours. It was repeated a few days later with the same results. Kitty sez it werked better than any antidepressant it has taken. Kitty of course doesnt know what the effect would be of daily long term use, but would do it again if its neighbor in another life ever had time for the long extraction and purification process again.
Me, I dont do such things.

I think several of the hallucinogens would work well as antidepressants. But antidepressant doseages are much, much lower than any street drug user is used to. And there is the problem.

****consuming whole morning glory seeds will give you a serious case of diarhea.

D

Dollit

I think it' interesting that the article says that the drugs tend to put people into that calm frame of mind that enables them to see what's going on, making them more amenable to change. Perhaps what he's saying really is that strictly controlled use of the drugs makes you more willing to have treatment not necessarily more susceptible to it.

But as you quite rightly point out people who use street drugs use increasingly bigger doses. I think we will still be talking on this one in one form or another in years to come.

Where are you now Lucid - home or travelling?

lucid scream

lucid scream

right now im in my truck about 300 feet from the great salt lake, waiting on a load. should be home this weekend tho.

its travelled ground, tho. there were many, many experiments done in the 40;s, 50,s and 60's using psilocybin (mushrooms) LSD, mescaline and DMT (Ayahuasca brews of the Amazon) on both mental patients and addicts/alcoholics, with more success towards addiction. in fact, in one study, i think it was done by Dr Humphrey Osmond, some 80% of alcoholics given LSD in a clinical setting still had not had a drink 1 year later. those are very good results. those are awesome results. i also read a report of a guy who kicked a 30 year heroin and methadone habit after an ibogaine experience, that he had done himself. the results of the experiments on mental patients were somewhat less effective, but many of those tests were downright cruel. you just cant give a schizophrenic a massive dose of LSD and tie them to a gurney.
of course, it was the 60's that really killed these cliical studies. after LSD hit the streets the government put strict controls on them, and they were abandoned in favor of newer drugs.

D

Dollit

Wow - the Great Salt Lake. Utah's really mountainous isn't it?

But back to the thread. Bill Wilson and Carl Jung met in Switzerland and tried LSD together, so the story goes and he was already long sober then so maybe it's one of those urban legends. Having experimented a bit in the past and being bipolar I'm not sure it's something I'd want to try even in a clinical setting. Certain things made me psychotic and I'd be afraid of that again. But it does seem to have some validity this research and lets hope that there is something meaningful comes out of it.

lucid scream

lucid scream

yep, utah has some big mountains, many still have snow on them.

me niether, i wouldnt do it, i dont think. i think heavy LSD use led to my present problems. the underlying condition may have been there, through genetics and upbringing, but acid completed the job.
kitty sez it helped its mood, though. but kitty only took a tiny bit.

D

Dollit

Lucid I do miss you when you're not here.

I think controversial treatments always attract those who will try anything (like the song says, "I'd try any ill just to find the cure") but I think as you get older and understand cause and effect a little more (or at least you do if you've learned from experience) you do become more cautious.

lucid scream

lucid scream

same here, Dollit. :hug:
i can say anything here. thats important to me.

but yes, experience is the best teacher. and sometimes, for some of us, it has to be the only one.

D

Dollit

If we don't learn from our experiences then there's no point in having them.

D

Dollit

AA claim a lot of things that aren't necessarily true, they are into self-promotion! (As a former AA member I can say this!).