• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Psychotic hypomania or mania?

D

dmoore03

I have recently been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder type 1 and I'm trying to understand it better. Basically, I get (what looks and feels like) hypomanic episodes (I'm definitely elevated but can still function in social situations) but during these episodes I get psychotic symptoms (hearing voices and persecutory paranoia).

Is this technically mania?

JessisMe

JessisMe

Experiencing delusions or psychotic symptoms are both characteristics of mania. I haven’t heard hearing voices included in that but if it falls under the general umbrella of delusion or psychosis that could be...

K

karl7

i think mania and psychosis are seperate but im not too sure.....i know you can have depression with psychotic features.......so when you get hypomanic, you say you get symtoms of eharing voices and persecutory paranoia

JessisMe

JessisMe

Mania can feature delusion and/or psychosis.
Usually the diagnosis in that case is bipolar with psychotic features.

HLon99

HLon99

Hi dmoore03,

I have Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features and I experience paranoia and delusions outside of epsiodes as well as part of (hypo)mania and depression.

Usually, with mood episodes you experience what is known as mood-congruent delusions such as:
1) Grandiose delusions during (hypo)mania e.g. I have superpowers; I am a god etc
2) Guilt delusions during depression e.g. I am a terrible person; I have sinned/committed some terrible act

What you are experiencing is neither. You have mood-incongruent delusions i.e. paranoia (people are trying to harm me). This is usually a sign of something more serious going on. I would advise that you quickly seek help from a psychiatrist and tell them what you are experiencing. They can put you on a medication which can quell these symptoms, if you are not on one already. Its important to stabilise your state of mind so that this does not progress to full-blown psychosis.

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes :)

-H