• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Psychotic episode newbie here.

psycho_mexican_lady

psycho_mexican_lady

Hi! I am new here. I had a psychotic episode over a year ago and thought that it was a one time thing. I go to therapy but no medications or anything else. Lately, I've been feeling like I did that time. Can't sleep. Having crazy insane thoughts and convincing myself they are real. I don't want to go through that again, it was pretty bad. I had horrible hallucinations, couldn't eat and had no idea what was happening to me. Do you have any tips? Anything I should look out for? I already made an appt with my therapist and plan on communicating with her often but I am also a little scared and would like to hear from someone who has been through this.

F

Fancyharm

I haven't been through exactly what you are going through, but I have beaten agoraphobia.

I believe I have had episodes of extreme anxiety, so I can relate to how you feel.

Firstly I think the outcome is good for you, you have booked in with your therapist, so you have started the healing process by addressing the problem.

I used a lot of replacement methods, which I found very very good. It's no use in trying to push thoughts away, it's impossible, but you can replace them. I used positive affirmations, I read up on anxiety, educated myself, I visited my therapist. I gave myself tools to re condition my mind, eg the above said.

It is possible to re condition the mind, really it is, I'm proof of that. But you have to accept your condition and live through it.

F

Fancyharm

And just because it's come back, doesn't mean you've got worse. Just means it needs dealing with, the re conditioning needs to take place.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello psycho_mexican_lady, welcome to the forum.

Bod

Bod

Hello and welcome to the forum, I am sorry you are struggling at the moment but hope you will settle here as everyone here is very helpful and caring.

Joe57

Joe57

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello, welcome. I hope you find what you’re looking for in the appropriate forums.

F

Fancyharm

Hi! I am new here. I had a psychotic episode over a year ago and thought that it was a one time thing. I go to therapy but no medications or anything else. Lately, I've been feeling like I did that time. Can't sleep. Having crazy insane thoughts and convincing myself they are real. I don't want to go through that again, it was pretty bad. I had horrible hallucinations, couldn't eat and had no idea what was happening to me. Do you have any tips? Anything I should look out for? I already made an appt with my therapist and plan on communicating with her often but I am also a little scared and would like to hear from someone who has been through this.
How are you feeling now? Better I hope. Please keep posting, hopefully you will be helping yourself and you will surely be helping people by sharing your story.

psycho_mexican_lady

psycho_mexican_lady

How are you feeling now? Better I hope. Please keep posting, hopefully you will be helping yourself and you will surely be helping people by sharing your story.
Thank you for your tips. I am very aware of my mental health and I meditate and journal each morning. Affirmations are my go-to when anxiety creeps up, I do yoga and go to the gym regularly. I keep my body healthy by eating whole foods. And still these past few weeks have been difficult. I wasn't working and now I have work again, I think this will be a good thing as it keeps my mind busy and then tired, so I sleep. Still my mind has been playing tricks on me. The hardest part of psychosis is that you can't really trust yourself. And you don't trust anyone else, so what to do? This is what scares me tbh. Not being able to trust my own mind. Sigh.