• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Psychotic depression?

W

whatdidyousay?

Founding Member
is is possible to be so depressed that you go insane??

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
I dont think you can call it insanity but you can definitely have psychotic experiences when profoundly depressed. I used to listen to the switched off tv. :unsure:

Aahbut

Aahbut

I developed voices after long term depression. Now looks like I am going to have to take antipsychotics to get them sorted. Did initially also see things, the devil sat on my bed for one, but they faded leaving just the voices, so I would definitely say yes to your question.

T

telemetry9

I used to believe that certain people had a secret organization designed to undermine me and destroy my life. I really believed they had it in for me and had meetings and were zealous in their attempts.
I also sometimes think my house is bugged by my neighbours next door. Rationally; I can't explain the thoughts but they feel very real and tangible. I also used to believe that news presenters were really talking to me personally and could see me through the television.

T

trakel

Founding Member
psychotic depression

yes i believe you can ,i use to feel trapped in my own head of swimming thoughts and feelings i described it to my cpn as instead of looking outwards on life i was looking inwards all i could see was confusion and all i felt was mixed up feeling's i used to have these feelings about 5 times a day all i could do whilst i was experiencing them was cry in dispair

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
is is possible to be so depressed that you go insane??
well if you mean psychotic when you say insane - the answer is a resounding yes. Theory says if your depression gets really bad some brains compensate by going psychotic.

There are then grades of psychosis after that

I tend to believe the devil is penetrating my house through the tv, radio and plug sockets - as you do - and I go off things that are coloured black because of their association with the devil. Gets abit messy when I have to see my doc as he is called Dr Black hummmmm amusing in retrospect not so at the time

hope this helps

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
I described it to my cpn as instead of looking outwards on life i was looking inwards
That is exactly the way I have felt it and described it on many occasions myself. Its a kind of semi-disassociative state where I can interact with people and the environment but feel uncomfortable doing so.

J

juk

Founding Member
yes i agree.

I personally believe this to be true as i myself atm have severe anger bcos of my health probs not being diagnosed. I feel that i could explode into a rage so lately ive been going to bed out of the way till i calm down.