• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

psychotic depression help please

A

andy2310

hi im new to all this and never been on a forum before.my name is andy
I was wondering for some help or feedback.I will try keep this as short as possible.I have had problems with depression for years and voices.I have never really seeked help as friends tell me dont tell your doctor or you will be sectioned.I suffer from major depression and hear voices and see things and people i believe are ghosts.Recently i went to my doctor and opened up and was reffered to a mental health support worker.Wich at first i waited so long my doctor got frustrated and decided to issue me with olanzapine tables after a month or so i heard from mental health team and had visits of a lady every two weeks and refered me to a pychartrist sorry about the spelling.So after regular visit from the mental health worker i finally seen the physchartrist this week.I never got what i wanted from that appointment he was just writing and never got to explain much or open up to him.he was a bit disinterested if that makes sence.After around 30 mins he was speaking to my mental health worker and i heard him say depression with spychotic episodes.this was confusing to me as he said fluxotine 20mg and keep taking my olanzapine 20mg.I was confused at my diagnosis the next day i phone my mental health worker and wanted to know depression with pyschotic episodes is that pyschotic depression i believe there is another tearm for it.so she said its the same thing.so my quistion is phychotic depression is my diagnosis?? depression with sypchotic episodes the same thing right? as im due to go back to job center and of course they will ask me.they dont understand in them places they just fob u off like there is nothing wrong with you...so if i ever have to write down on forms what is wrong with me is it fair to say depression with phychotic episodes is pychotic depression i have googled it and the medication im on is in conduction with that and is phychotic depression a disorder...hope some of this makes sence and u understand what im trying to ask...a responce from anyone would be a big help thanks again

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Hi Andy

:welcome: to the forum...

Sorry that you're going through a difficult time and a confusing one too!

It's very upsetting NOT to know exactly what's wrong with you especially after being to a psychiatrist where you go in with the hope that you will come out understanding yourself better.

I just googled 'psychotic depression' and yes it is a very valid diagnosis.. I didn't read a lot about it, but I wanted to check it out before I replied to you.

The first website that came up was webmd.com when I googled psychotic depression... It seemed pretty good so maybe have a read of it and see if it relates to how you feel...

I hope you get some definite answers, it's so depressing when you're seeing medical people but still feel lost...

Keep us posted here on how your getting along... Hope this helps you a little bit.

:hug:

A

andy2310

Hi Andy

:welcome: to the forum...

Sorry that you're going through a difficult time and a confusing one too!

It's very upsetting NOT to know exactly what's wrong with you especially after being to a psychiatrist where you go in with the hope that you will come out understanding yourself better.

I just googled 'psychotic depression' and yes it is a very valid diagnosis.. I didn't read a lot about it, but I wanted to check it out before I replied to you.

The first website that came up was webmd.com when I googled psychotic depression... It seemed pretty good so maybe have a read of it and see if it relates to how you feel...

I hope you get some definite answers, it's so depressing when you're seeing medical people but still feel lost...

Keep us posted here on how your getting along... Hope this helps you a little bit.

:hug:
thanks for reply shadow
I have talked to my mental health woman who visits me and she said yes its psychotic depression.Thing is i have had problems like this for a long time but never went to a doctor as friends would tell me god dont tell them that.or you will get locked up.so i never seeked help as of that fear.
So i have tried to live with it even go to work.But over the years and a few bad experiences in my life i got worse.for example hearing voices at work to push some one from behind down a ramp or turn machines on when some one was working on it.it really scared me so i told my supervisor i felt ill and got out of there and went home.its was frightening.could it be possible i would do something like that.so i would go home where i felt safe and got depreesed and obviously found it hard to hold down a job.in my previous post i have found help now and im on fluoxtine and olanzapine tablets and have a mental health woman who visits me.now for my next quisitons to you im worried about.Im not working at the moment and on universal credit.Obviously i have worked most of my life and struggled but dont feel i can like this.and worried the job center people will say im fit to work.Is a illness like this long term the medication helps but i still struggle in life.And to go to work and maybe harm someone scares me sometimes constant noises like cars passing by or in a warehouse with noise the noise can turn to voices.basically i guess im asking would they see my illness as long term pysocotic depression wich i have googled and says other wise known as deppressive disorder>
I know some people dont and cant work with major illness like bipola disorder ect does my illness fall under that criteria as im sure soon the job center will send to assess me and since my last time there i can now say that i have been diagnosed with this illness
all or any advise is welcome and hope u understand my post look forward to ur reply shadow

L

LouiseMN

You should be proud of yourself for getting help, both meds and a therapist (mental health woman). Perhaps she can help you with this. Your fear of hurting others is irrational, your therapist should help you with that.

I have Major Depressive Disorder and I have never had thoughts of harming others, just that I am worthless and hopeless and suicidal thoughts.

A

andy2310

oh wow hi louise.yes thats what i have.I asked therapist a week or so later as i googled it.so i asked do i have pyscotic depression then she said yes.so i googled it again and it said pyscotic depression other wise known as major depressive disorder so are they the same.thats what im trying to find out?
so basically i see the pyschoitrist with my therapist for only 30 mins he doesnt ask me hardly anything anyway he said depression with pyscotic episodes.So i came out so confused.after my therapist dropped me back home i was confused and tried to google it and it came up pyscotic depression still confused i waited to see my therapist again 2 week later so i was asking her so what exactly is it he has diagnosed me with is it pyscotic depression she more or less said yes.still confused i have googled it and it said other wise know as depressive disorder.
so obviously u dont get a letter saying what u have so im still cunfused are they the same louise ..ps sorry for bad spelling

A

andy2310

Psychotic depression, also known as major depressive disorder with psychoticfeatures, is a serious condition that requires immediate treatment and close monitoring by a medical or mental health professional. Major depressive disorder is a common mental disorder that can negatively affect many areas of someone's life.19 Feb 2016 i just googled it and this came up again????

L

LouiseMN

I just changed psychiatrists. I was initially diagnosed as having bipolar depression. After years he changed it to MDD and removed the Lithium. He retired just last fall and I got a new doctor. She says I have MDD with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). I agree with that because I always have anxiety when depressed.

Anyway, no matter the diagnosis. You have to convince yourself that you are rwell and ready to ho back to work!

L

LouiseMN

I guess they are different, you will need more help for the psychotic issues. As I said with my MDD (common) I have never had thoughts of harming others. Good luck.

L

LouiseMN

I hope someone else with MDD with psychotic features chimes in here! Are there some meds you have taken specifically for the psychotic part?

A

andy2310

yes mate, i started with olanzapine but my doctor put me on them,as he was tired of waiting for the mental health team to get in contact.as they hadnt got in contact with me or him once i seeked help.So i think he took that decision himslef.I carried on taking that even when mental health got in touch and had to wait to see the psychiatrist.then he put me on fluoxitine with my olanzapine...so thats what im on at the moment i go see him in three months but therapist visits me maybe every two weeks ect long journy isnt it

L

LouiseMN

Urs. It certainly is. Meds are pretty much trial and error, docs don't know what meds you need right away. I see that Olanzipone is Zyprexa
It is given to people with bipolar disorder too, as the Bipolar 1 diagnosis includes mania that is psychotic.

A

andy2310

yes i heard that too.so many variations of different disorders are you able to work at the moment do you live a normal as possible life

L

LouiseMN

I am good right now. Had a rough year but ever since a Caribbean cruise at the end of February I have no depression. I found a therapist for the first time, and I am reading a book he recommended. I saw my psychiatrist today and she said to come back in 3 months. I take multiple antidepressants. Seems like they don't help but I'd probably get really Whacko if I quit them.

A

andy2310

sounds like a lovley holiday something i could do with.keep ur chin up mate you have helped me a lot tonight by talking so i thank u for that