• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychotherapy

J

JayneA

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with 'borderline personality disorder' - don't they love their labels.

Anyway, I'm on a waiting list for psychotherapy and just wondered if anyone else has had it, and if it helped.

I've had general counselling before which wasn't helpful - mainly because I didn't really click with the counsellor and also because he seemed to forget everything I'd ever told him. Each week I went back and had to repeat my basic story/circumstances again. I'm hoping psychotherapy will be better! The therapist who assessed me and is taking me on seems really easy to talk to at least.

Also, has anyone else had problems with their psych ward and GP passing you back and forth? Ie. you visit your GP and he tells you to ring psych, you ring psych and they tell you to see your GP. When visiting my GP to do 'the right thing' when suicidal, he sent me away with a phone number. I got the feeling they were passing the buck so if I went through with it they could just blame each other and not be held accountable.

Thanks!
Jayne

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Jayne
I have the diagnosis of Borderline too and I have been having mentalisation based treatment for the last year and a half although it is coming to an end for this I see an individual therapist and then go to group therapy too each once a week. Too be perfectly honest I don't feel that it has helped me at all, so who knows what they will suggest after this. I hope your therapy does help you though, I think you are right about finding someone who you get on with as being helpful and it sounds promising that you found them easy to talk too. Good luck with it.
Sorry to hear your GP and psch Dr are passing the buck maybe you could ask for somebody else??
Messy :)

J

JayneA

Thanks very much for your reply Messy.

I was offered group therapy as well, which I can take up at any time. With the way I am there's no way I'd cope with that at the moment but it's handy to know it's there if I want it in the future. I guess I'll see how everything goes.

Sorry to hear your treatment hasn't helped. It's tough. I know there are certain things that are far too ingrained in me to change but hopefully other things aren't.

I've requested to see a different GP when I go next week to sort out my medication, so hopefully he'll be better than the previous one!

Thanks again,:)
Jayne

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thats good that you have the option of group therapy too, you never know when your ready for that it may help everyone is an individual and with so many different approaches, what works for some doesn't always work for others.
I hope it goes well with the different GP :hug: Let me know how you get on.

Messy x