• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychotherapy

Spit_it_out

Spit_it_out

As some of you know, some may not, i was diagnosed with bpd a while back, was prescribed amisulpride, i took these for a while but found that no matter how much they increased the dose, it wasn't working and i hated the side effects. I recently got referred back to my psychiatrist to find he has since retired, i had to go through the whole process of explaining my difficulties to a new psychiatrist and he confirmed my bpd diagnosis. I explained the medication didn't work and that i hated the side effects. He has referred me to a psychotherapist but it's going to be into the new year before i have my first session. Is anyone else getting psychotherapy? Is it working for you? What kind of stuff is involved? I know i'm stressing myself out probably about nothing, just wanted some feedback of anyone's experiences involving this method? Would be much appreciated.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm pleased to hear that you are being offered more help than just medication (which sounded useless anyway).

Personally, i'm not a big fan of therapy.. but I really do think it just depends on who the therapist is and their approach to the sessions.
My advice would be that when you start, if you find a session isn't going the way in which you'd like or you have other things you need to talk about, don't be afraid of taking control and saying what you need.
For me, I think that was part of the reason I didn't get on so well with therapy. I felt too easily bossed around and too fearful to speak up in case my concerns were written off as "symptoms" of BPD.

pepecat

pepecat

I had long term psychotherapy and found it to be massively helpful. It was for depression, though as I don't have bdp, so I can only talk a it more generally about it.

You may well find you have a couple of assessment sessions first to see what your difficulties are and if/how they can help you. It's as much about you seeing if you can work with them as them seeing if they can help you. The place I went they try to match a client with a therapist and the assessment was part of that.

Generally with therapies like psychotherapy, the relationship with the therapist is one of most important aspects of it, so you need someone you can get on with. I don't mean in a 'friends' sort of way, but just someone you think you can work with. I first my met my therapist in assessment (she assessed me) and I remember going home saying she scared me, but I thought I could work with her. I was right, we were a really good match. She challenged me loads of times, but she was what I needed.
So you might find you get someone who isn't all 'gently friendly lovely' all the time, but that may be what's needed. Mine could be (and was) very gentle with me when I needed it, but would also play hardball when I needed it.

Psychotherapy is not easy. It's hard work, examining yourself like that. Don't expect to feel better straight away. You may well feel worse for a while, as all the crap comes up and starts being churned about. But if you can commit, and put the work in, and cope with the emotions etc that it throws up, it's so worth it.
Bloody hard work, but worth it.

Spit_it_out

Spit_it_out

Thank you both for sharing your experiences, it is a worry for me as if the medication isn't working (although they've only tried one type), I guess im worried that if psychotherapy doesn't work im slowly running out of options. Its taken me so long to go back as i think in the back of my mind im worrying that if i try all these methods and none of them work that I'm beyond help and that there will be no release. I'm so unbelievably sick and tired of feeling like this, its utterly exhausting. Hate my brain :mad:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6