• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychotherapy provision in the UK: time to think again

SarahD

SarahD

Comment
Psychotherapy provision in the UK: time to think again

Julian Lousadaemail, Janet Weiszemail, Peter Hudson, Tim Swain

If a patient with cancer had to wait up to a year for treatment, health-care professionals and the general public would think it dangerous and wrong. If their treatment was then limited to six doses of radiotherapy, regardless of the pace of recovery, there would be disbelief. And if one treatment approach did not work when alternative therapies were available, it would be scandalous for a clinician to then say “there is no more we can do for you”. Yet this is often the experience of people suffering from psychological distress trying to access therapy on the NHS.

(Full article free see link)

SarahD

SarahD

The first year I was referred for urgent psychotherapy, I was told I would be seen within two months, then for a year I was told "it will be in the next few weeks". After 18 months I finally did see someone, following a suicide attempt in hospital. I was then put on a "short" waiting list. After six months I was taken off the list and told I wasn't suitable for that kind of therapy (but apparently I had been for the two years I was waiting!) and nothing else was offered.

SarahD

SarahD

sorry the link didn't come out, even tried several times. It is from the Lancet.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

The first year I was referred for urgent psychotherapy, I was told I would be seen within two months, then for a year I was told "it will be in the next few weeks". After 18 months I finally did see someone, following a suicide attempt in hospital. I was then put on a "short" waiting list. After six months I was taken off the list and told I wasn't suitable for that kind of therapy (but apparently I had been for the two years I was waiting!) and nothing else was offered.
Wow, talk about messing you about! Not suitable? Was that before you were desperate enough to end your life or afterwards? Gosh Sarah, i'm sorry to hear about your crap experiences. :hug:

The extract of the article that i've read, I totally agree with. This sort of thing doesn't happen for those with more visible illnesses.

I am in private counselling now, but I saw a CAT therapist last year who was awful. The thing is, it had been 4 years since me getting that type of therapy was first mentioned to me. I got told I wasn't "ready"... blah blah.
But yeah, when I eventually got it, I was totally shocked at how poor the therapist was.

SarahD

SarahD

Yeah not so good, huh?

I am now waiting to see if I can attend four sessions in a group to learn Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, which is I think a step on from CBT plus Mindfulness. It is something that sounds interesting, but I am also looking into trying some private therapy as the NHS is not very helpful with that!

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I've had private counselling since July, and it's the best thing i've ever done.
So yeah, if it's something that is do-able for you (it's not always easy financially) i'd say look into seeing someone privately.