• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

psychosomatic struggles

Eleison

Eleison

It is becoming clearly apparant that I have suffered with this for a long time. And now, in therapy, as I'm facing unburying lots of previously suppressed and repressed feelings... my body is reacting in defence. Trying to stop me.

The most distressing current symptom is a blocked nose. It sounds fairly innocuous, but it really makes me panic. Not being able to breathe. Of course I know panic attacks already. Plus the sort of flashbacks. I had the blocked nose all my childhood, and my night awakening or lack of sleep and my aching for warmth and reassurance, often sent dad into real rages. Which distressed me.

I've noticed that when I feel secure emotionally my nose is fairly clear, but when I feel insecure - particularly just before I go to bed - it gets really blocked and nothing I do will clear it. It's not great right now.

My GP put me on anti-histamines, but they just made me groggy and dissociated - even though they were non-sedating.

I don't know what to do with this. I mean, crying helps, but that's so damn blocked as well. And it really is very uncomfortable when I cry.

Isobel

Isobel

Founding Member
Hello Eleison,
would i t help your nose if you put Vick or eucalyptus oil on your nightclothes?
They would make it run so you'd need to keep tissues handy.
It's so interesting what our bodies do to try and protect us even of we'd be better off long term if we could sort out what our minds have shut down on.
Oddly enough I always get hiccups at bedtime but they usually stop soon after I've got into bed.
I hope that your therapy goes well.
:hug:

D

Dollit

Before I had my nose surgery I physically had very little of an airway and had to breathe through my mouth. What helped me at bedtime was something called breathe right strips. They're quite expensive but they hold the nasal passages open and made breathing easier for me.

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
Don't let anyone call this 'psychosomatic'! That is a way some have of dismissing Very Real, and from your evidence distressing symptoms which I might hazard a guess have something related to anxiety, hyper-tension, or something related, for which you would do well to take expert opinion. Don't take my word for it, Consult a clinician. Psychosomatic? Someone is trying to rubbish your evidence of distress, and maybe 'illness' ! :confused:

connect

connect

Admin
Have you tried Nasonex? It's prescription-only, but a number of people have told me that it's the only nasal spray that works for them. Sure, there may be a psychosomatic element to it, but that doesn't really explain why your nose would get blocked...