• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychosis

T

terriberry

Hi,

Beginning of 2013 I had a pyschotic episode and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The police were there as well. I would not go in the ambulance as I was afraid the ambulance people and police were going to hurt me. I didn't believe the police were the police or the ambulance people. I thought they were someone else pretending to be police and ambulance that were going to hurt me. Going in that ambulance was a pretty scary experience for me as i had never been in an ambulance before. I don't know what has caused this illness. I've never done illicit drugs and never will, so it cannot be that. Also no one else in my family has it so it can't be genetics. I am currently on paliperidone (however you spell it). I'm also starting a new medication next year along with the paliperidone. The good thing is i don't have the thoughts that my mum is someone else like i had been thinking. Having delusional thoughts that she is someone else. I actually believe she is her now. I still have some delusional thoughts I get suspicious of people sometimes, overally suspicous, thinking their going to harm me etc. Some of that has gone too but I still find it hard to watch tv as i have ïdeas of reference"think the tv with what it talks about is refering to me. Anyway, i am better than what i was but i find it hard to cope alot of the time. Does anyone out there who has psychosis feel that way too? finds it hard to cope alot of the time and just don't feel like you want to be here? Or you feel like running away sometimes? Running away won't get rid of it. My mum knows a few people with this illness and as they got older it became dormant and the symptoms went away. So to those who don't think you won't get better, there is hope.

Thanks.

Terri

Last edited:
T

terriberry

Also people seem to think people with this illness are dangerous. That is a myth. They are more likely to harm themselves than someone else. Is psychosis and schizophrenia both the same illness? the same treatment seems to be used.

D

DavidC

Your experience is typical of psychosis although it differs for everyone. I've experience psychotic depression and my experience is similar to yours.

Psychosis and schizophrenia are not the same thing. Many mental health diagnoses can suffer from psychosis.

The treatment is the same.. antipsychotics, but antipsychotics are used for a myriad of illnesses these days

shaky

shaky

Hi, terriberry
Welcome to the forum.
:welcome:

I had a psychotic episode back in 2008 and yes, it was very scary (although for different reasons).

You talk about 'finding it hard to cope'. This is very true. When there is so much going on inside my head and everything seems to MEAN so much. Everything is referring to me and telling me what to do and
and
and
It's very tiring, very draining, at times very scary.
Nearly impossible to carry on with a streesful life. With work or studying.

As for schizophrenia...
Schizophrenia is one of the diagnoses that might be given to someone who has persistent psychosis, but it is not the only one.

T

terriberry

Hi david,

Thanks for the reply.
Did you ever get over the psychotic depression?

Last edited:
T

terriberry

Thank you for the welcome shaky. I just joined a few days ago in the hope there might be people out there in the same boat as me with this illness and there is. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. What medication did you go on? And did you find it helped? How are you feeling now? Did you ever get over it? If so, how long did it take to get over it?

T

terriberry

Thank you for the welcome shaky. I just joined a few days ago in the hope there might be people out there in the same boat as me with this illness and there is. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. What medication did you go on? And did you find it helped? How are you feeling now? Did you ever get over it? If so, how long did it take to get over it?

Last edited:
T

terriberry

Hi, terriberry
Welcome to the forum.

I had a psychotic episode back in 2008 and yes, it was very scary (although for different reasons).

You talk about 'finding it hard to cope'. This is very true. When there is so much going on inside my head and everything seems to MEAN so much. Everything is referring to me and telling me what to do and
and
and

As for schizophrenia...
Schizophrenia is one of the diagnoses that might be given to someone who has persistent psychosis, but it is not the only one.

I don't believe one should do both work and study if they have an illness. It should just be one or the other. But a person shouldn't be in a rush to work if they feel they can't cope. I think they should give it time to work out whether they can cope with working or not. If they can work, then that is great. That is a good thing.
Working is a good way to take your mind off things, but it can be stressful too if its hard to do.

Last edited:
T

terriberry

Hi, terriberry
Welcome to the forum.

and
and

As for schizophrenia...
I don't hear voices all the time either. I've heard voices probably twice since I was diagnosed. Is it just schizophrenia you hear voices or you can with pyschosis as well? I musn't have schizophrenia. The dignosis i was given was psychosis. I've only had one episode. But as you say, if its persistent and i keep having them it can come to that.

shaky

shaky

I don't hear voices all the time either. I've heard voices probably twice since I was diagnosed. Is it just schizophrenia you hear voices or you can with pyschosis as well? I musn't have schizophrenia. The dignosis i was given was psychosis. I've only had one episode. But as you say, if its persistent and i keep having them it can come to that.
Many people hear voices
SOme of them are judged to have psychosis
Some schizophrenia
But there are many people who have neither - they just hear voices. Some of them have no trouble with that and live fulfilled lives.
See the http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/forum99.html section for more on this

T

terriberry

Your experience is typical of psychosis although it differs for everyone. I've experience psychotic depression and my experience is similar to yours.

Psychosis and schizophrenia are not the same thing. Many mental health diagnoses can suffer from psychosis.

The treatment is the same.. antipsychotics, but antipsychotics are used for a myriad of illnesses these days

So the same treatment is used, antipsychotics. And so the symptoms are the same too? The only thing I don't do is hallucinate. I see police and ambulance alot and put meanings to them. I see alot more maxi taxis and automatically assume i could end up in a wheelchair. Am i seeing them because there is more of them? cause there wasn't more of them before. And they are always around my street and everywhere where i am, i turn around there is one. Sometimes 2 every 5 minutes. Like i see them around me all the time the police and ambulance more than before, more than before i got sick.. I see the ambulance and i think i am going to end up in hospital again or that something is going to happen to me. Am i just seeing them all the time because my sub-conscious is thinking of went i was taken into an ambulance? I constanly think something bad is going to happen to me. I tend to think i have psychic powers even though i know i musn't as i dont believe in psychics cause they are con merchants most of them. But i for some reason believe i do have some psychic power to a point which is why i keep thinking all the time that something is going to happen to me. I feel like i am being watched in my own house, like there is cameras up and there isn't any cameras, but it just feels like there is and that im constanly being watched. Its to the point i want to find these cameras and smash them.
Its a very difficult illness to deal with. I hope they find a cure one day. Sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
T

terriberry

Many people hear voices
Some schizophrenia
But there are many people who have neither - they just hear voices. Some of them have no trouble with that and live fulfilled lives.
See the http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/forum99.html section for more on this
Thanks. I will check it out. I don't know how a person with this kind of illness can have a fulfilling life. I don't even enjoy doing what I use to do anymore, ie. exercising and dancing. Those are things i enjoyed before which i hardly do anymore, but i am trying to get back into exercise even though i hate exercise.

T

terriberry

Many people hear voices
Some schizophrenia

How do you get rid of hearing the voices? Does the medication i am on suppose to help? I'm on paliperidone and will be on some other one next year. I don't hear the voices all the time, just once every so often. That can only be a good thing right? as I have read some people can hear voices 24/7. It always seems to be a male voice too which is disturbing. I don't know why it is mostly a male voice? it has either told me something or told me to do something. The first time i heard it it told me "drain her"or ""drown her", one of the two. The second time it just said something to me.