• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Psychosis: significant colours

bluenomore

bluenomore

First of all I should point out that I don't suffer from schizophrenia and I apologise if I should have posted this in another forum. This seemed like the logical place to post this though.

I have had several psychotic episodes and was at one point diagnosed with delusional disorder. My last episode was way back in 2006 but I think about them all the time.

What I wanted to ask was: Has anyone else experienced the importance of specific colours - especially black, blue and red? I've only found a few references on this on the internet. I did hear Alistair Campbell mention it during his interview about his breakdown.

I would be very interested to read any experiences about this.

thanks for reading,

D

Dollit

The book I have on colour theory is buried at the bottom of a box somewhere (no room in this flat for all the books I have to be on display at once) but it does say that you have a preference for certain colours depending on how well or ill you are. Even though I'm quite well I still have a leaning towards the colour that signifies my mental health problems but the other colour (it goes in pairs) varies and actually signifies how well I am. If that makes sense.

A

Apotheosis

What I wanted to ask was: Has anyone else experienced the importance of specific colours - especially black, blue and red?
Those are colours I have liked & found significant.

bluenomore

bluenomore

Thanks for your responses. For some (bizarre?) reason I find this interesting. If I can elaborate, during my own delusional psychotic episodes, those three colours were very important to me. It was if they represented 3 different powerful 'sides' in a global battle being played out secretly. I felt that I was able to see this for the first time.

I am well enough now to realise that this was part of my delusion, but the memory of it is still very powerful. I associated black with (not suprisingly) a very powerful 'mafia' connection. I was living on an island in Thailand with a strong mafia presence anyway, which would have affected my thinking. Blue and red are of course very prominent colours in everyday life, and during my delusions It was easy for me to 'join the dots' in my head and form opinions about their significance.

Anyway, i would be very interested to hear about ppl's colour associations.

A

Apotheosis

I wouldn't know where to begin with the many associations & meaning of colour. Obviously with Black & the White - the Dark & the Light; but far more than that - black being the absence of colour & white being all colours.
Black - with the Universe & space; with the inner search (Dark night of the Soul). Black being the thing which gives meaning to the light (white). Red with emotion & passion, vibrancy, the sun, life (blood). Blue - the sea, the sky, the eyes, & all the vast connotations with those things.

Interesting is that Blue & Red & two of the three primary colours used in painting; the third being yellow, ( another colour of significance; especiallly with spirituality; the sun ect).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_color

http://www.oephebia.com/colours.html

Black represents nothingness and chaos. Symbolically the colour of mourning and Death.
Black is also the colour of mysteries, the night, the intuition, the unknown, the primitive instincts and the unconscious.
In Christianity, black is seen as the colour of renunciation of the vanities of the world (black being traditionally the colour of the devil and temptation), hence the black cloak of priests and nuns.
In ancient Egypt, black was seen as the colour of fertility because it was associated with the womb of mother earth.
Black is also linked with evil or what Jung calls our dark shadow.
Black represents horribleness and disaster, we used terms like black magic, blackmail, black market, etc to emphasise the ideas of forbidden deeds or evilness.
The Devil card in the Rider Waite is depicted with a black sky emphasising the idea of chaos and evil, notice the couple chained as they have surrendered their free will to the Devil.
Another card, The Tower talks about chaos and disaster with a menacing black sky and lightning destroying the ego.
The colour black is also connected with the promise of renewal of life, hence the Death card with its skeleton wearing a black armour and holding a black banner, promising a new beginning after total destruction of the ego.

firemonkey

firemonkey

Color harmony and color meaning

Main article: Color symbolism and psychology

Color theory has long had the goal of predicting or specifying the color combinations that would work well together or appear harmonious. The color wheel has been adopted as a tool for defining these basic relationships. Some theorists and artists believe juxtapositions of complementary colors are said to produce a strong contrast or tension, because they annihilate each other when mixed; others believe the juxtapositions of complementary colors produce harmonious color interactions. Colors next to each other on the color wheel are called analogous colors. They tend to produce a single-hued or a dominant color experience. Harmony has been sought in combinations other than these two. A split complementary color scheme employs a range of analogous hues, "split" from a basic key color, with the complementary color as contrast. A triadic color scheme adopts any three colors approximately equidistant around the hue circle. Printers or photographers sometimes employ a duotone color scheme, generated as value gradations in black and a single colored ink or color filter; painters sometimes refer to the same effect as a monochromatic color scheme.

The color wheel harmonies have had limited practical application, simply because the impact of the color combinations is quite different, depending on the colors involved: the contrast between the complementary colors purple and green is much less strident than the contrast between red and turquoise. They can suggest useful color combinations in fashion or interior design, but much also depends on the tastes, lifestyle and cultural norms of the consumer. When the schemes have proven effective, this is often because of fundamental contrast is between warm and cool hues (in this instance meaning hues on the opposite sides of the color wheel), contrast of value with darks and lights, contrast of saturated and unsaturated colors, or contrast of extension, when one color is extended over a large area contrasthttp://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=52758ing another color extended over a very small area.

In the 20th century color theory attempted to link colors to particular emotional or subjective associations: red is an arousing, sensual, feminine color; blue is a contemplative, serene, masculine color, and so on. This project has failed for several reasons, the most important being that cultural color associations play the dominant role in abstract color associations, and the impact of color in design is always affected by the context.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_symbolism_and_psychology
http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2008/01/biology_of_color_preference.php
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8127162

"There has been a great diversity of opinion on the subject, but the generally accepted rule is pink for the boy and blue for the girl. The reason is that pink being a more decided and stronger color is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is pertier for the girl." [Ladies Home Journal, June, 1918]

bluenomore

bluenomore

Fascinating - thanks for your input

D

Dollit

It's incredibly accurate Blue - I was astounded at how something so simple could get me so spot on.

A

Apotheosis

I remember doing this test around 6 years ago; & I remember this first part of the results being exactly the same - how odd is that?

PROBLEM UNDERLYING THE PRESENT STRESS -- Depleted vitality has created an intolerance for any further stimulation, or demands on his resources. A feeling of powerlessness subjects him to agitation and acute distress. Tries to escape from this by relinquishing the struggle, and by finding peaceful and restful conditions in which to recuperate in an atmosphere of affection and security.
I'm not posting the rest of the results. I don't think the results are entirely accurate - but certain parts I can identify with.

D

Dollit

Maybe it my results were well suited to me at the time but I haven't done it in 7 years or so.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi, I dont see colours but i do smell things b4 i become ill. Its normally sweet and flowery but sometimes can be very sickly and it always amazes me that no one else can smell it. I can tell where it starts and follow a trail to where it ends.

My psych after ruling out other potential problems said its quite commom to see colours or smell aromas when you are becoming ill

A

Apotheosis

Hi, I dont see colours but i do smell things b4 i become ill. Its normally sweet and flowery but sometimes can be very sickly and it always amazes me that no one else can smell it. I can tell where it starts and follow a trail to where it ends.
I sometimes smell sweet things - I used to get a stable smell too - I could smell horses.

N

Nefertiti

colours

I have a phobia about the colour blue and dont know why, i wont have anything blue in my flat or wear it if im given blue presents they go in the bin.
Blue means death and destruction to me, so i never pass it on to anyone.