• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychosis or Personality Disorder?

T

Tickettyboo

Hi everyone. I've been seeking mental health help for a few years now, and was referred to a psychosis team because I was hearing voices, seeing things, having trouble with my hygiene, and having delusions. But recently, my psychiatrist has decided I don't have psychosis, and actually have a personality disorder. So she wants to refer me to a non-psychosis team, and believes I shouldn't even be on any antipsychotics. This confused me because I didn't realise a personality disorder could give you symptoms that are identical to psychosis. Personally, I believe I do have psychosis. Is it possible that she's wrong? Could a personality disorder give rise to my symptoms?

I've researched Borderline Personality Disorder and it does appear that there are some symptoms of psychosis. But then why would she not give me antipsychotics to combat my "psychotic" symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any answers, any help is appreciated.

porkpie

porkpie

Did you tell your doctor you think your having psychotic symptoms?

T

Tickettyboo

Yeah I said to her I think I have schizophrenia, but she says she doesn't think I do have it for various reasons (but wouldn't tell me what those reasons were for fear that if she listed certain symptoms, I'd start exhibiting them). I kind of get the feeling she doesn't trust me because I have memory problems and am sometimes inconsistent. This in turn makes me feel like I can't trust her judgement.

Also thanks for the welcome!

F

firemonkee57

Personality disorders can involve psychosis but in the case of a PD it tends to be transient.

T

Tickettyboo

How long would the psychosis have to last for it to be considered transient or not?

V

volnash

Brief psychotic Episode
Predictions:
Full Recovery In Less Than 1 Month

May require brief involuntary hospitalization

This is what i found could that answer your question? id assume anything over that is non-transient.

F

firemonkee57

I think from hours to several days/under a month.

T

Tickettyboo

Thank you for the replies, it makes sense. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what her official diagnosis is in the future