Psychosis as a result from an intensive meditation retreat

Kerome

Kerome

I found this an interesting article, written about his own experience by a man who had had a psychotic experience many years ago and had recently done an intensive vipassana retreat and suffered another breakdown. Some good stuff in there about the various authors he contacted and interviewed on the different books that have been written on the subject.

[Moderator Note: Link removed due to it containing suicide specifics]

Last edited by a moderator:
Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi Kerome !! :loveshower: I read the article and I really liked it. Yes, until the fish jumps out of the water, it doesn't know it's in water.

I hope you are well, Kerome.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

ccccccccccraaaaaaaaaaaap i got off lightly then. i always did feel uneasy after a not to unsimilar retreat years ago. saw some strange and down right weird stuff. and that was only a weekend.

Kerome

Kerome

Yeah this is the thing, if you go from a simple personal practice to trying to meditate 11 hours a day with no breaks then some strange things may happen. It’s quite extreme what he describes.

I’d just do something less extreme like 5 hours a day on a retreat with breaks for walking meditation. There’s no need to try and force a breakthrough.

(waves at everybody in passing)

Jbb79

Jbb79

I like Vipassana, I've done it lots, After Iraq war, I Used it To remove Guilt > >

Wr213453ntitle.jpg

I Combined Buddhist And, catholic Ways, To alleviate Pain, From war </3 </3

war 1 4834565.jpg

wo 17944.jpg
war 1 89232.jpg

S

Secular

I can see how meditation could induce psychosis in some people. That doesn't necessarily mean it's harmful for everyone, though. Obviously there are many people who go to meditation retreats and do not experience psychosis. It just means meditation will not necessarily be beneficial to some people.