• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Psychosis and Libido

D

Danja

So, I have been diagnosed with psychosis and have been put on 2mg of Ripseridol. I think it works. But I have no sex drive whatsoever. Prior to me going on Risperidol, I've had no sex drive for approximately 3 and a half years. Now, is that due to me having psychosis, or is there something else happening?

T

Twylight

Certainly some of the older Tranquilisers , killed the sex drive
I'm not sure about Respiridol ?
But No having had a psychosis shouldn't in my opinion, make any difference.
I take Olanzapine and have No problems

D

Danja

It just worries me because I've been like this for three years. No sex dive, no erection. My GP says that if I take the meds it will help my sex drive come back, but I haven't felt anything different. So I think I'm going to slowly lower my dosage until I'm off the medication and see what happens.

A

Apotheosis

The meds have severely affected my sex drive - & from researching as much as I can; a lack of sex drive, erection problems, & a plethora of other sexual dysfunctions; appears to be the main 'side effects' with almost all psychiatric medication - including anti-depressants, & minor/major tranquillizers (anti-psychotics).

For your GP to say "that if I take the meds it will help my sex drive come back" - he is either a pathological liar - or as deluded as the mentally ill themselves.

T

Twylight

I was told by a Consultant Psychiarist that some medications affect a Hormone in the blood

A

Apotheosis

I was told by a Consultant Psychiarist that some medications affect a Hormone in the blood
A lot of anti psychotics raise prolactin levels. This causes loss of sex drive & also leads to osteoporosis. We have chatted about all this in another thread.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My sex drive is reduced.I'm on olanzapine and mirtazopine.Citalopram destroyed my sex drive.

D

Danage

My sex drive is also reduced, and when I was on Risperidone, as I said before, it switched off my sex drive completely. I don't know about Olanzapine's (which I am on) effect on the sex drive though. I can't imagine it would be a major difference from Risperidone.

D

Danja

I'm wondering if anybody's sex drive was gone before they were put on anti psychotics.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
If i remember right when i was in crisis my sex drive went, the psychiatrist says all the atypicals lower libido, i don't feel my libido is lowered though i can't ejaculate, i think mind said that these drugs could have been marketed as a cure for premature ejaculation

The fact people are bothered by it must mean they've still got labido

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Schizophrenia vs anxiety induced psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 2
konata It’s not psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 1
konata Mixed psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 1
P Down about my psychosis... and diagnosis Schizophrenia Forum 7
LORD BURT Do you ever feel that psychosis has made you too powerful? Schizophrenia Forum 2
E The fine line between psychosis and reality Schizophrenia Forum 1
D Memory loss while in psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 8
LORD BURT Do you feel there could be an Ancient cure for psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 47
P Keep thinking I have a schizophrenia psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 19
S Mania during schizophrenic psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 16
L Two Episodes of Psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 4
C Meeting with psychosis team- what’s it like? Schizophrenia Forum 8
K what is the difference between psychosis and schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 7
O Intrusive thoughts vs voices? Psychosis or anxiety? Schizophrenia Forum 5
S Hello I am a Evangelical Christian with Psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 7
S My best friend has signs of Psychosis. What should I do ? Schizophrenia Forum 10
L Going back to work after psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 7
J Depression following psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 7
Z can caffeine give you psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 3
E Psychosis and Disordered Eating Schizophrenia Forum 2
J Was this schizophrenia/psychosis ? Schizophrenia Forum 1
R Scitzophrenia w/o psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 8
N Helping a Deaf Friend with psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 1
Hello513 Am I like the only one who has experienced psychosis who tossed out the supernatural Schizophrenia Forum 4
L Life after psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 19
N Dose each psychosis you have damage your brain? Schizophrenia Forum 8
S psychosis, paranoid schizophrenia, powerful headaches can be artificially created.. Schizophrenia Forum 7
T am I developing Sz/psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 5
A Psychosis cause by abuse Fully Trained musical ear here Schizophrenia Forum 2
A What is the best medication for psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 21
S 3rd day of schizotypal psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 4
T Schizophrenia Psychosis Books Schizophrenia Forum 2
Mark_01 Addiction and Psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 9
P New psychosis documentary Schizophrenia Forum 5
Cazcat Substance related psychosis V schizophrenia V schizoaffective Schizophrenia Forum 4
B What is the difference between psychosis in bipolar disorder and schizoaffective disorder? Schizophrenia Forum 2
P Psychosis/schizophrenia is an awake dream Schizophrenia Forum 12
P Early Intervention for Psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 3
J epileptic psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 3
F The slow death of the concept of schizophrenia and the painful birth of the psychosis spectrum Schizophrenia Forum 1
S Ultimate psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 2
K Length of initial psychosis/ ongoing problems Schizophrenia Forum 1
cpuusage Crazywise:  Revisioning Narratives of Psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 5
cpuusage Teens who smoke pot at risk for later schizophrenia, psychosis Schizophrenia Forum 14
G Does Cannabis high in CBD work for psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 13
cpuusage Schizophrenia Psychosis or Something More Profound? Schizophrenia Forum 22
H Does This Sound Like Psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 8
cpuusage Rethinking Madness: Psychosis and Spiritual Awakening Schizophrenia Forum 37
O Could you tell me a treatment mindmap, please, for this type of schizophernic psychosis? Schizophrenia Forum 7
Z Differences between early psychosis and depression Schizophrenia Forum 4