Psychosis and Libido

D

Danja

So, I have been diagnosed with psychosis and have been put on 2mg of Ripseridol. I think it works. But I have no sex drive whatsoever. Prior to me going on Risperidol, I've had no sex drive for approximately 3 and a half years. Now, is that due to me having psychosis, or is there something else happening?

T

Twylight

Certainly some of the older Tranquilisers , killed the sex drive
I'm not sure about Respiridol ?
But No having had a psychosis shouldn't in my opinion, make any difference.
I take Olanzapine and have No problems

D

Danja

It just worries me because I've been like this for three years. No sex dive, no erection. My GP says that if I take the meds it will help my sex drive come back, but I haven't felt anything different. So I think I'm going to slowly lower my dosage until I'm off the medication and see what happens.

A

Apotheosis

The meds have severely affected my sex drive - & from researching as much as I can; a lack of sex drive, erection problems, & a plethora of other sexual dysfunctions; appears to be the main 'side effects' with almost all psychiatric medication - including anti-depressants, & minor/major tranquillizers (anti-psychotics).

For your GP to say "that if I take the meds it will help my sex drive come back" - he is either a pathological liar - or as deluded as the mentally ill themselves.

T

Twylight

I was told by a Consultant Psychiarist that some medications affect a Hormone in the blood

A

Apotheosis

I was told by a Consultant Psychiarist that some medications affect a Hormone in the blood
A lot of anti psychotics raise prolactin levels. This causes loss of sex drive & also leads to osteoporosis. We have chatted about all this in another thread.

S

schizolanza

My sex drive is reduced.I'm on olanzapine and mirtazopine.Citalopram destroyed my sex drive.

D

Danage

My sex drive is also reduced, and when I was on Risperidone, as I said before, it switched off my sex drive completely. I don't know about Olanzapine's (which I am on) effect on the sex drive though. I can't imagine it would be a major difference from Risperidone.

D

Danja

I'm wondering if anybody's sex drive was gone before they were put on anti psychotics.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
If i remember right when i was in crisis my sex drive went, the psychiatrist says all the atypicals lower libido, i don't feel my libido is lowered though i can't ejaculate, i think mind said that these drugs could have been marketed as a cure for premature ejaculation

The fact people are bothered by it must mean they've still got labido