• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Psychosis and electrical impulses ?

T

Twylight

I was thinking today about thought pathways and electrical impulses

I don't know if any research has been done, but I was wondering if electrical impules in the brain became more powerfull and short across to each other during a psychosis

I was seeing medication not just as a drug, but as an insulator

I was also thinking that Cannabis might make our minds electricaly stronger

Just a thought
Twy

A

Apotheosis

The simple fact is that it is not known how the human brain works. The human brain is the most complex object in the known Universe. Scanning techniques & science is improving; & models are increasing in their understanding - but still so little is known. Meds "work"; or have the effect which they do; as they suppress certain of the chemical messenger systems; usually by directly suppressing certain chemical receptors. It was discovered that certain chemical agents suppressed certain chemical systems in the brain - namely the Dopamine system. People appeared to have a reduction in "positive symptoms" - & that formed the basis of the chemical imbalance theory. Specifically that an excess of Dopamine was causing the "problems" - especially in psychosis. It is a theory; a theory which has never been proved. For one; how can this "imbalance" be seen to be a cause - or is it simply an effect of something else. Brain processes are so complex, & so little is known; that simply - no one knows what exactly is going on. A med is rather like using a sledgehammer to crack a small nut.

What Do We Really Know About How Our Brains Work?

Consider this extraordinary reality. The human brain has more individual cells (neurons) than there are stars in the sky. Billions! And each neuron may have 10,000 or more connections (synapses) to other brain cells, creating a network with trillions of interconnections. In fact, the brain is considered to be the most complex organ in the entire universe. With it's billions of neurons & trillions of synapses, it is more complex than the entire physical universe of planets, stars & galaxies.

Scientists have well-developed ideas about how the physical universe works. They posses mathematical formulae for describing the various forces that control the relationships among physical entities from black holes to subatomic particles. All these forces also affect the human brain. However, the living processes of the brain add complexities unknown in the physical universe. Those trillions of interconnections between brain cells, for example, are mediated by hundreds of chemical messengers (neurotransmitters), as well as by hormones, proteins, tiny ions such as sodium & potassium, & other substances. We have limited knowledge about how a few of these chemical messengers work, but little or no idea as to how they combine to produce brain function.

Quoted from "Your Drug May be Your Problem" by Peter R. Breggin
Don't be fooled into thinking that Doctors; psychiatrists, the medical profession; Scientists; & the pharmaceutical industry; know what they are talking about in relation to the brain - THEY DON'T.

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

I was thinking today about thought pathways and electrical impulses

I don't know if any research has been done, but I was wondering if electrical impules in the brain became more powerfull and short across to each other during a psychosis

I was seeing medication not just as a drug, but as an insulator

I was also thinking that Cannabis might make our minds electricaly stronger

Just a thought
Twy
Take a look at this very good animation -

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/drugs/mouse.html

The human system is primarily a Bio magnetic/electrical based system. Science tells us this. Many people consider that there is a separation between the brain & the rest of the physical body. This is not accurate - the entire body is itself an intelligence system; from the cells; to the organs & the central nervous system. What affects the body affects the brain & vice versa - it is more than symbiotic - it can be seen as a singular system. Research has been done which has looked at the body itself in fact being a component of the mind; especially in relation to the unconscious. That the body itself is theorised to be capable of storing a form of memory & learned emotional response in certain conditions. There may in fact be more truth to sayings like "a gut reaction".