• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Psychosis and cardiovascular disease: Is diet the missing link?

F

firemonkee57

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

To explore the diets of people living with psychotic disorders, and to compare their dietary composition to the general population.
METHOD:

184 people with psychotic disorders in Adelaide, South Australia completed a food frequency questionnaire. Physical information and mental health status were collected. Outcome measures included energy and macronutrient intake; fish, sodium, fruit and vegetable intake; micro-nutrient intake; body mass index; waist circumference; and diagnoses of diabetes and hypertension. The RDI of nutrients was derived from Australian Government publications. Comparison dietary data was obtained from surveys carried out by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
RESULTS:

The majority of participants were overweight or obese (78%) and 77.5% met the criteria for at-risk waist circumference; and 58% of participants consumed salt and saturated fat in excess of the RDI. Most did not achieve the RDI for fruits and vegetables (97.8%), fibre (88.6%), fish (61.4%), magnesium (73.4%) or folate (86.4%). Women with psychosis had significantly higher intakes of vitamins and minerals compared to women in the general population. Men and women with psychosis consumed more daily total fat, saturated fat and sodium compared to adults in the Australian population, but lower fibre and vitamin E than their male and female counterparts.
CONCLUSION:

People with psychosis, especially women, report poor dietary choices including increased energy and fat intake, heightening their risk for cardiovascular disease. Women with psychosis report higher intake of vitamins and minerals than women in the general population. Whilst dietary intake contributes to obesity in psychosis, other factors including antipsychotic agents, decreased physical activity and smoking add to the cardiovascular risk.

Psychosis and cardiovascular disease: Is diet the missing link? - PubMed - NCBI

I think irrespective of levels of motivation and negative symptoms if you are on low income,as many with schizophrenia are, then the cheaper foods are the the high fat high calorie items and budgetary necessity will push people to opt for them.
It is irresponsible to talk of poor diets without tackling the economic and social factors related to the problem.
We need more pdocs pressing for progressive economic and social change.

SarahD

SarahD

Also a lot of people are overweight because of the antipsychotic drugs. They increase your appetite and you crave unhealthy food. And the sedating effect means less exercise, more sitting around or sleeping.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A EXERCISE! - People who experience Psychosis are at risk of Cardiovascular Disorders! Psychosis Forum 7
SarahD Cardiovascular risk very high in patients with psychosis Psychosis Forum 2
R Is someone usually aware that things aren't right with psychosis? Psychosis Forum 6
E distinguishing between psychosis or BPD? Psychosis Forum 2
I Duration of untreated psychosis and brain damage Psychosis Forum 3
Autistic_Alien Seasonal Psychosis (not SAD) Psychosis Forum 1
S Psychosis in autism: comparison of the features of both conditions in a dually affected cohort Psychosis Forum 1
G Is this psychosis? Psychosis Forum 3
mischief Webinar: Psychosis: Psychodynamic Understanding and Therapy (22 October 2021) Psychosis Forum 1
B Gossip and psychosis Psychosis Forum 1
M Potential future medical treatment for psychosis in the news Psychosis Forum 3
M Psychosis: anyone else like me out there? Psychosis Forum 4
M Depression Following Psychosis Psychosis Forum 21
M How do you know if you have Psychosis?, Psychosis Forum 17
E Can stress trigger psychosis despite being on medication? Psychosis Forum 11
S My sisters psychosis is making my life hell Psychosis Forum 28
E an eating disorder and psychosis plus antipsychotic treatment just does not go well together... Psychosis Forum 3
P Work and psychosis Psychosis Forum 16
Huckleberry Psychosis Psychosis Forum 15
H Sister's Psychosis Psychosis Forum 1
Kats What was the worst thing you've done because of psychosis? Psychosis Forum 15
L Two episodes of psychosis Psychosis Forum 19
J Do you always feel scared when you have psychosis? Psychosis Forum 15
B Gossip and psychosis Psychosis Forum 5
M Psychosis when to go hospital. Psychosis Forum 6
P Fear of psychosis Psychosis Forum 4
S Lost A Person I Loved to Psychosis, Now What? Psychosis Forum 1
P Detained in hospital because of psychosis I’m really scared Psychosis Forum 25
M Early/Onset Symptoms of Psychosis? Psychosis Forum 3
W What aided your recovery from psychosis? Psychosis Forum 31
B Emotional numbness with psychosis/post psychosis Psychosis Forum 18
D Psychosis changed my life forever Psychosis Forum 24
O David Harewood: Psychosis and Me Psychosis Forum 5
D Double vision and Heavy brain fog, Please help + My Psychosis Story Psychosis Forum 8
P Do you remember your psychosis? Psychosis Forum 3
D Psychosis symptoms Psychosis Forum 4
L Aiding psychosis recovery through diet Psychosis Forum 1
K I can feel psychosis coming on? Psychosis Forum 13
M Psychosis- Embarrassed and Remorseful Psychosis Forum 26
S Does this sound like psychosis? Psychosis Forum 4
P Am I the only one who still has psychosis episodes on meds Psychosis Forum 58
K do women with post natal psychosis have to have post natal depression at the same time Psychosis Forum 1
A Psychosis - mental health act (UK) Psychosis Forum 8
S Psychosis woes.... Psychosis Forum 5
K Opening up about Psychosis Psychosis Forum 2
D My psychosis is back and i am scared Psychosis Forum 16
T Cannabis for treating paranoia/psychosis? Psychosis Forum 40
D is this paranoia? is psychosis back? Psychosis Forum 7
D What was your age when you got diagnosed with first episode psychosis? Psychosis Forum 68
D What’s the difference between bipolar psychosis and schizoaffective psychosis? Psychosis Forum 7