Psychologists??

marcustwelve

marcustwelve

Been refered to a Psychologist.

Any peoples experiences of above mentioned professionals appreachiated. :)

Raina Walks

Raina Walks

it should be okay....depends on whether you two are compatible or not....

in Toronto they do psychotherapy, psychoeducation and one on one counselling...not sure about the UK...

they will probably want you to stay on meds and they will work with you on identifying and sorting through your issues...

i've met good ones and weird ones....no bad ones really....they can be helpful....

it might help to write down what hurts and what goals you have for yourself...however small....

right now my goal is to exercise and shower every day...for a while there that was not possible...but i have a nurse at the moment and a case manager...not a psychologist....

he/she will probably tell you what they are able to do for you and ask you a lot of questions about yourself and your life especially in the first few appointments...

maybe have an idea of what you would like...write it down and ask them if they can help with it...i've done that in the past and got help from psychologists...

take care... :)

pepecat

pepecat

I was referred for psychodynamic psychotherapy with a psychologist, and for me, it's been really good. Its on the NHS, vis the mental health trust. I had three assessment sessions with her in summer 2010, to see if they could help and what i wanted from them. She took me on (well the service did) and i started 'proper' therapy in Jan 2011. I asked to stick with the woman that assessed me cos i had a feeling i could work with her, and that was definitely the right decision. She's a consultant clinical psychologist who also does the psychodynamic stuff and she's bloody good at her job. It's been really good for me. If you can get a psychologist you can establish some sort of rapport with, and who knows their stuff, and you're engaged in the therapy, it can be really good. Hard work, but good.

marcustwelve

marcustwelve

Don't know how long I will have to wait but looking forward to it. The only draw back is that there is only one guy available, so hope we get on. To be honest I would feel more comfortable talking to a woman but beggers can't be chooser's.