Psychologists Against Austerity

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't think it is a case of ideal Worlds - More seeing & approaching it all from far more humane, comprehensive & effective perspectives.

Yes the realities of this world are what they currently are - why keep moaning about your neighbours then? You don't seem bothered about how shit mental health services are, on the contrary you seem to always be defending psychiatry & the mental health system. Maybe if people had far better care & treatment then you wouldn't have had to suffer or deal with the effects of as many social problems? Your attitudes to it all seem very cognitive dissonant.
if people had better care and treatment they might not be such a problem but as it is the resources aren't there for it, what resources would be better spent encouraging them to have the treatment avaiable

and a no of people just don't see theres an issue with they're behaviour one housing assoc told mind that they had had a lot of mentally ill people referred to them for housing who weren;t getting proper support and there was bad feeling in the area, i thought they're referring to those mentally ill ex cons. who rightly or wrongly had diagnoseses, and they wouldn't accept support even if offfered they considered it social control

sadly with people like that theres a case for enforced treatment or removal from the community

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
if people had better care and treatment they might not be such a problem but as it is the resources aren't there for it, what resources would be better spent encouraging them to have the treatment avaiable

and a no of people just don't see theres an issue with they're behaviour one housing assoc told mind that they had had a lot of mentally ill people referred to them for housing who weren;t getting proper support and there was bad feeling in the area, i thought they're referring to those mentally ill ex cons. who rightly or wrongly had diagnoseses, and they wouldn't accept support even if offfered they considered it social control

sadly with people like that theres a case for enforced treatment or removal from the community
Primarily it is all social control. There's obviously a very real debate as to what is mental illness & should come under the jurisdiction of mental health services & what isn't. There has always been & is a continuing debate about the entire legitimacy of psychiatry, especially in it's biomedical focus, & entire current mental health treatment / system - You know my opinion, almost the entire thing is Shit. You seem to have the attitude that all criminality & anti-social behaviour is mental illness; needing treatment with sedation / drugs. You would have been a fan of Arthur Koestler. One of your favourite quoted films is a Clockwork Orange, i also expect that you like Logan's Run.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
yes i like quoting a clockwork orange, after the treatment they dress him in his tough clothes and before an audience this actor abuses him, he keeps apologising, the dr says we;ve created the perfect martyr, the prison chaplain says goodness is in the soul not a medical treatment the dr says are you denieing it works
after some neighbours i'm not interested in complicated things i'm only interested in whether it works

off course theres ideal worlds this isn't one of them, i'd settle for certain neighbours and people around me not been a nuisance

G

Georgia May

How many times have you seen that film? It sounds like you know it line for line.

It deals with behaviourism and aversion therapy. I have heard the book ending is different from the film.

I found it hard to sympathise with the lead character when getting the 'therapy' except most people who are exposed to such interventions are not like him at all. I know they use the electric shock aversion therapy to 'treat' gay men and OCD sufferers are encouraged to snap an elastic band in their wrist when they carry out a compulsion/have an obsessive thought. It is quite cruel and I don't think it has any place in 21st century medicine but why do they still have ECT and debilitating drugs when they are so punitive and damaging to the brain?

People shouldn't be punished for being ill which is exactly what austerity is doing to millions of disabled people in the UK.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my ex con neighbour liked the book and my then psychiatrist recommended it, it does deal with problem kids, i've never seen the film

it was a far right labour goverment that introduced the approach in the book, it was blairs mental health act that introduced ctos and the treatment of psychopaths who used to be considered untreatable and a large proportion of the prison population