Psychologists Against Austerity

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
they're just pissed off those on benefits can no longer pay for therapy and help pay their mortgages

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
psychologists doing it out of the goodness of their hearts that sadly doesn't fit the average psychologist i've met, they're out to seperate people from money with little regard to helping them

G

Georgia May

Separate who from money? Have you had a private sector psychologist?

You're too cynical for your own good.

I saw one of the aforementioned psychologists give a passionate lecture about how the mh system labels, stigmatises and destroys the lives of people who are just coping any way they can to adverse life events. Why would people set up an event to challenge the status quo if they didn't genuinely believe in helping people?

When it comes to the benefits system, they very openly said that the label the person had been given would be written down as a means by which to ensure relative financial certainty for claimants, but they don't believe in it. The fact that the bullying, stressful and soul destroying nature of the benefits system in itself creates mental distress is the reason psychologists are so passionate about ending austerity.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I saw one of the aforementioned psychologists give a passionate lecture about how the mh system labels, stigmatises and destroys the lives of people who are just coping any way they can to adverse life events. Why would people set up an event to challenge the status quo if they didn't genuinely believe in helping people?

because theres a lot of money in attacking the mental health system, was the passionate lecture free? theres always the book sales

G

Georgia May

No, it wasn't free, but I did manage to get a discount. I genuinely don't think the mh system is up to much regarding the treatment of people there a lot of the time, so criticising it makes sense to me. If you don't think there's anything wrong with it and you like being stigmatised and treated like less than human, then I feel sorry for you. I have read posts of yours in which you bemoan others' attitudes towards you regarding your diagnosis, and the psychiatric system actively reinforces the stigma and prejudice. How anyone can say it's all done in the best interests of the patient is beyond me.

I'm getting too tired to argue now. :sorry:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
what treatment if any would you recommend for someone actively psychotic, we can't all afford therapy from a top psychologist and for all the talk about making it available on the nhs the nhs is in crisis

G

Georgia May

Well if the NHS took psychology more seriously then there would be more psychologists in the system.

Well there's always Open Dialogue which I'm sure is becoming more widely known and respected by mental health practitioners.

I think the Southampton area is the latest to implement it. There surely is a similar facility in London.

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i suspect the open dialogue implimented in britain will be watered down from it's original philosophy nurses will be going on about it whilst sticking the needle in

don't hear much from the mental health lot nowadays case closed got letter from support worker yesterday that case closed as well

G

Georgia May

i suspect the open dialogue implimented in britain will be watered down from it's original philosophy nurses will be going on about it whilst sticking the needle in
That's pure speculation from an eternal pessimist. I can be really pessimistic but sometimes you just have to suspend your disbelief because you don't know that.

don't hear much from the mental health lot nowadays case closed got letter from support worker yesterday that case closed as well
I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances. It's something that is a dilemma for some psychologists regarding benefit entitlement but as I say the ones involved in this movement would rather that better mental health/discharge from services wasn't an excuse to cut the welfare people receive. As it is they have to 'play along' with the system and regardless of current mh circumstances of a client will do everything they can to ensure they continue to receive as much financial help as possible. They are well aware of how a job can send someone backwards and back into the mh system and that work does not automatically equate to better mental health, in fact it can make people ill in the first place.

:hug5:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
as a cynic the reason they haven't closed your case is they see you as at risk of coming off meds

G

Georgia May

I have to see the doctor in 2 - 3 months and if I am ok on half a mg he has told me I can come off it altogether. He probably will discharge me, I wonder if I will get my schizophrenia diagnosis reviewed, maybe schizophrenia in remission. The label will stick for life but ironically given the severity of the condition or how severe it is perceived to be in general compared to an OCD diagnosis I am now in the WRAG group for the first time. I have to get a job one way or another. If you're ln JSA you can't get your full rent paid or the maximum that can be paid, and you get £70 a week to live off. I'm guessing that I'm nearer that point than you so as much as I sympathise with your circumstances mine aren't perfect either and it could all come crashing down rather spectacularly if things don't work out. Everyone on benefits is potentially living on a knife edge as a result of Tory welfare policy. We should be uniting to stand up to them, not squabbling about people who support us regarding our predicament on a mh forum.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
question is whether you'll be fit enough for what was called a mac job or the gig economy, been declared fit for work, also depends on what your gp decides whether he'll agree to not mention certain things

i guess theres always that mental health role model job but they're been cut

G

Georgia May

I don't know, it's not up to me if I'm fit for work or not regardless of my opinion.

My GP is quite supportive and she has worked in psychiatry herself but if I move I'll have to get a new one who will only rely on notes. Where I want to move has a high benefit claimant count so the new doctor could be either way, helpful or cynical.

Do you mean peer support work? I am going to an event about that in two weeks. If I could get a job in campaigning for better rights and services for people with mh issues that would be great. But I can't see that happening.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you could work for the dwp then you could tell me it's not impossible to get a job if your mentally ill as i've got a job, and if i answer back threaten to cut my benefits

moving to somewhere with a high benefit count is a retrograde step if your looking for work imho

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
what treatment if any would you recommend for someone actively psychotic, we can't all afford therapy from a top psychologist and for all the talk about making it available on the nhs the nhs is in crisis
You can disagree all you want, so can the vast majority of society - But the realities / truth of it all is that there are viable & effective comprehensive psychological / social alternatives, always have been & always will be.

https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread129808.html

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i'm not into arguing. ideal worlds i could have come off my drugs maybe, i blame bad housing atrocious estates and quite often neighbours who refuse treatment and don't consider they're antisocial behaviour an issue

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i'm not into arguing. ideal worlds
i don't think it is a case of ideal Worlds - More seeing & approaching it all from far more humane, comprehensive & effective perspectives.

Yes the realities of this world are what they currently are - why keep moaning about your neighbours then? You don't seem bothered about how shit mental health services are, on the contrary you seem to always be defending psychiatry & the mental health system. Maybe if people had far better care & treatment then you wouldn't have had to suffer or deal with the effects of as many social problems? Your attitudes to it all seem very cognitive dissonant.

Last edited: