• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

psychologist detecting personality

V

vimes

Hi
How good are psychologist at detecting personality when it is hidden? If the subject hides and does not discuss certain aspects that can be considered symptoms of complications.

Also would a psychologists refer to a psych if the subject is not a danger?
Will a psychologist report to the health service(NHS) or GP with or without notifying the subject if there is no danger?

katya

katya

Hi
How good are psychologist at detecting personality when it is hidden? If the subject hides and does not discuss certain aspects that can be considered symptoms of complications.

Also would a psychologists refer to a psych if the subject is not a danger?
Will a psychologist report to the health service(NHS) or GP with or without notifying the subject if there is no danger?
I imagine that any psychologist would have a hard time detecting personality traits that are hidden. Therapy probably works best when you're open and honest with your therapist. But they'll also probably be trained for clients with difficulty being truthful also. I don't know really!

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I wouldn't think that a psychologist would refer someone to the NHS or their GP.
If it's a private psychologist, then providing there isn't a risk of harm, then things will stay confidential.
Unless you want them to make contact your GP or the NHS.

As for the 'hidden' personality, they may well get a hunch but can't make any assumptions if there's no real evidence to suggest their hunch is accurate.

V

vimes

Thanks for your replies!

How would the client know that a psychologist will not break confidentiality? Is there any guarantee?
Why should the client open up to someone he can't trust?

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

My counsellor once wrote to my GP but only because I was very suicidal. It wouldn't happen without your knowledge though. She told me beforehand.

Kirkpatrick

Kirkpatrick

There are laws that guarantee that that the therapist is bound by confidentiality, as long as the patient is not in danger of hurting themselves or someone else. The purpose of these laws is so that the patient can trust enough to open so that they can get help.

StillFighting

StillFighting

Why should the client open up to someone he can't trust?
In my opinion, trust is necessary for therapy to work. However, you don't have to open up to someone you don't trust. It's important to find someone you trust, if you know what I'm saying.

It may take some time to build trust; maybe the client has questions or concerns, and in my opinion, it's important to discuss those with the psychologist/therapist. Ask questions, listen to their replies. I asked myself my own therapist if he has the ability to force me to be admitted to a psychiatric institution.

You don't have to do anything, it's important to find someone that you feel is a good match for you, and with whom feel that you can work.

V

vimes

Thanks so much guys! Really helpful. I have only seen him once, I'm very private, I don't like talking about feelings. Not certain it will work really. Not good at trusting others, especially complete strangers. I'm not certain I will go back.