• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychological Assessment

R

riverofdragons

I have just received a letter giving me an appointment for a psycholoigical assessment.

I'm not quite scared as I don't know what this will involve.

It would be helpful to hear others experiences, or many there are links to sites which explaine it?

Please help

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi,

I have not had a specific psychological assessment but when I was first refered to a psych I had an initial assessment. This involved taking a medical history physical and mental health, a family history...... and general exploration of my current symptoms. This was then followed up with a review of current medication and future care plan.

DOnt know if this helps

Intel

R

riverofdragons

This appointment is with a Psychologist. My posychiatrist who I see regualry referred me

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
My assessment with the psychologist involved talking about what's going on and a bit of exploration of my history. I found it very useful as it helped me to understand some of the causes of my condition a bit better. From my experience I would say don't be anxious about it. Good luck.

R

riverofdragons

So should I be trying to come up with a list of things that bother me or what?

Sorry to be thick, but although I have been on medication on/off for 14 yrs I havent seen a psychologist before.

D

Dollit

A psychologist is there to help you look at the way you behave and react and to help change the way you think and help you change your behaviour for the better. The assessment is just to see where you are and how well you're functioning and (with a bit of luck) if you get a good one maybe you'll be able to plan a way of moving forward.

R

riverofdragons

So will i have to try and summarise all my problems?

D

Dollit

You will only tackle one area at a time and it should be an ongoing process, checking on how you've been doing, where the natural progression is. If there's one outstanding are that show's itself then that may be the place to start. Say what you need to but don't feel you have to go into everything in detail.

R

riverofdragons

When I put psychological assessment into google it come up with stuff about personality disorders...do you think i will be tested for these?

I am getting really scared

D

Dollit

I don't think you'll be tested for anything. A psychological assessment is to get a broad picture. S/he should also have information from your GP and/or psych. It's like everyone has little pieces of the picture and the psychologist puts them all together and makes a big picture.

R

riverofdragons

Thanks, sounds like it could be what i need then. I could do with extra support

T

TabbyToes

Don't worry about the assessment. The first one I had, I said very little and spent most of it in tears (my grandmother had just died). My CPN had written a detailed referral letter (my psychiatrist suggested therapy, the CPN wrote the letter as he knew me better).

I didn't have a clue what to say to the psychologist before I went (which stressed me out totally).

Best advice. I presume that you've discussed the reasons for going with your psychiatrist, so perhaps start there. My GP told me that it wasn't just my responsiblity to be able to talk, it was the psychologists responsibility to help me to talk.

I've had 2 courses of therapy and am just about to begin the 3rd (tomorrow). As Dollit said, it's an ongoing process ~ my last psychologist likened it to peeling the layers on an onion back.