• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Psychodynamic psychotherapy...if you've had it please reply yes or no!**TRIGGERING******

W

waitingforsummer

Psychodynamic psychotherapy...if you've had it please reply yes or no!**TRIGGERING******

I've seen 3 different psychodynamic therapists over the years. One has asked me outright on a number of occasions if i have ever been sexually abused. The other 2 have been more subtle about it but also asked me but in a more insidious kind of way.

My question is.......

Do most psychodynamic therapists believe that their clients problems are a result of SA.

I am so sorry if this is a triggering or offensive subject. It is sending me a bit bonkers and i really dont mean to offfend anyone.

W

waitingforsummer

What I mean is if you've had this type of therapy are you also asked this question....if that makes sense

CBTish

CBTish

When you asked this question here a few months ago you didn't get a straight answer. I don't think they are taught that all their clients' problems are the result of sexual abuse. But some psychodynamic therapists who were themselves abused, or whose own therapists were abused, might sometimes get confused about the source of their feelings about a client. It sounds to me as if you have just been unlucky with the three therapists you have tried so far.

I have not had this type of therapy myself, though. I am basing this reply on the psychodynamic therapists I have met, and on people I have known whose psychodynamic therapy hasn't worked well.

pepecat

pepecat

I'm having this type of therapy at the moment, and haven't been asked this at all.
I suppose if the client is saying stuff that is similar to what other people who have been abused in the past have said, then the therapist needs to check that their client hasn't as well.
I don't think they automatically assume everyone's been sexually abused at all, but i guess they probably see an unrealistically high percentage who have (cos SA can be a factor in mental health problems). In my 36 years, i know of 2 of my friends who've been abused - they are people from totally different parts of my life too. I would imagine in their working life, a therapist would meet a lot more than two!

As CBTish said, there might well be therapists who've been abused themselves, but they should have had therapy themselves as part of their training which should help them over that, and also shouldn't let what a client says influence their reaction to that client. They are supposed to be completely neutral and not let any of their own 'baggage' influence their session with a client. Which is why a lot of therapists undergo therapy themselves as part of their training - it's to get rid of any baggage etc which might get in the way of them working with certain people.

W

waitingforsummer

Thanks for replying. I really have never considered any of the things you have both said.

W

waitingforsummer

Such a confusing subject though...people think either you were or you wern't...its not that simple.

C

Chimera

I've seen 3 different psychodynamic therapists over the years. One has asked me outright on a number of occasions if i have ever been sexually abused. The other 2 have been more subtle about it but also asked me but in a more insidious kind of way.

My question is.......

Do most psychodynamic therapists believe that their clients problems are a result of SA.

I am so sorry if this is a triggering or offensive subject. It is sending me a bit bonkers and i really dont mean to offfend anyone.
(I've only just seen this thread, hence the late reply.)

Triggering, oh yes (but I am already triggered); but offensive, not at all.

I like the careful way you phrase things. Excuse me if I don't quite match up to that standard! I'm far from being at my best at the moment.

It is a subject on which I am literally speechless. It is also a subject on which virtually everybody seems to have only a programmed, triggered, predetermined, panic reaction, at one extreme or another.

I can only say that my experience has been the exact absolute polar opposite of yours, and much more in line with what one would expect from analytic or psychodynamic therapy if one has read books by Jeffrey Masson or Alice Miller.

There is a whole string of horror stories I could tell (not all about myself).