• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychodrama

S

Sall1

Founding Member
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you had any experience of receiving 'psychodrama' as a thateutic intervention. My psychologist said that she might do this with me.

If anyone can tell me more about it and what it was like, that would be great. I have looked on the net but still none the wiser really.

Thank you.

Sall

Eleison

Eleison

I studied it a bit on a course I've done. It did seem quite complicated, and seemed to be a group thing. But if your therapist is doing it in one-one sessions with you, I'm not so sure what she has in mind. Maybe it's more like exercises like in Gestalt therapy - 2 chair exercise type.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

Don't know much about it but there is a British Psychodrama Association (http://www.psychodrama.org.uk/).

Here is what they say about it...

"Conceived and developed by Jacob L. Moreno, MD, psychodrama employs guided dramatic action to examine problems or issues raised by an individual. Using experiential methods, sociometry, role theory, and group dynamics, psychodrama facilitates insight, personal growth, and integration on cognitive, affective, and behavioral levels. It clarifies issues, increases physical and emotional well being, enhances learning and develops new skills.

What are psychodrama, sociodrama and Action Methods?

The word 'Psychodrama' is often used as a generic term when talking about the range of action methods that J L Moreno developed.

Action methods are used to enable past, present and future life events to be explored. Issues or problems and their possible solutions are enacted rather than just talked about. Psychodrama offers the opportunity to practise new roles safely, see oneself from outside, gain insight and change. There is a director, an action area and group members. The director supports groups to explore new solutions to old problems, group members participate in the drama as significant others and share how they personally relate to and can learn from the presenting issue at the end of the session.

Whether we are seen as stereotypes or as individuals depends upon our language and perspective. The art of psychodrama includes the recognition of a person's private and metaphorical language and the use of multiple perspectives to elicit the subjective experiences of the protagonist, the director and the group members.

Psychodrama can be used in a group or individually for therapy and persona growth. It can also be applied to family and couples therapy.

Psychodrama is practised and taught extensively through the world.

What is sociodrama?

Sociodrama is used with groups wishing to explore common issues in training, organisations, community, educational and political contexts. It uses many of the same techniques as psychodrama to enable individual and group learning and change.

Whereas psychodrama focuses on an individual's personal concerns, sociodrama addresses the group's issue.

What are action methods?

Action methods enable people to see and experience different viewpoints and the 'bigger picture'. They can be used in personal & professional contexts eg job and relationship choices, conflict resolution, strategic planning, team building, review meetings training and development events and community consultation.

Who is psychodrama for?

Psychodrama is for everyone and anyone who would like to experience the spontaneity and 'magic' of working with action methods. Whether your focus is personal, professional, therapy or training….

…. If you're interested in the creative exploration of yourself, your relationships and your life using action as well as words, then you might value and enjoy the psychodramatic method and the personal liberations, self expression and insights that it elicits.

In Psychiatry and Psychotherapy

The vast majority of conditions in psychiatry and therapy are accessible to psychodrama. Common examples are affective disorder (including drug resistant depression), phobias, post-traumatic stress, eating disorders, self harm, alcohol and substance abuse. Long term problems in life-styles or relationships, including marital and family stress, can be addressed through psychodrama whether or not they have resulted in mental illness.

Any person in therapeutic care may benefit from psychodrama, provided that there is an ability and willingness for presentation of self-shown by stepping onto the stage area."

S

Sall1

Founding Member
thank you for the information on psychodrama, it has been really helpful to me and now at least I have an idea of what I might expect in the next few months. Sounds challenging to me but i'm up for anything if it makes me feel better.

Thanks again

Sall:hug:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Good luck Sal.

I'm impressed that you're up for it and really hope that it helps.

I have real difficulty expressing my feelings to my psychologist and could never imagine doing anything drama-tic, I'm too scared to let go of my inner self - maybe I'm too scared of my inner self... :confused:? I guess though this is part of my own difficulty.

Do keep posting and let us know how things are going. I'd be fascinated to hear about your experiences.