• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Psychoanalysis HELP!

R

ReneeWalker

Hi All,

If You know anything about Psychoanalysis treatment and what they do....

If you have seen one or know of anyone who has seen one...

Can you please PM me and send me a message about what you know!

PLEASE!!!!:)

Hope to hear from someone:)

oneday

oneday

Hi Renee,

You might want to see my postings in the 'Introduce yourself' section: 'Introducing... oneday', probably on the 2rd or 3rd page by now.

Briefly, after a major breakdown in my early twenties, I took myself along to a psychoanalytic psychotherapist, eventually seeing several such therapists, both one-to-one and in groups, as well as therapists and counsellors practising other forms of therapy. Subsequently I undertook several years of study and training in psychotherapy and counselling (starting with a 10-week intro to counselling course at a local adult education institute), finally qualifying in a psychotherapeutic discipline which included training placements working in psychiatric settings within the NHS.

For the past 12 years or so I have worked, instead, for mental health service user/survivor run projects and organisations, including putting together the handbook I quoted from in your previous thread, and, latterly, managing and working on an information helpline.

For myself, I can't imagine coming through all the distress and confusion in my life without having someone to go to regularly (at least weekly) who listened to me and who I felt accepted by, as well as gently challenged, to help me work out the whys and wherefores, the meanings, of my distress.

But I guess what I don't believe in doing, what I couldn't do, is recommend psychoanalysis for you. This is because:

- Every person is different (and as I posted: different approaches suit different people at different times.)

And this includes:

- Every therapist is different (so I'd repeat what I posted: the most important thing is to choose someone you feel you can relate to and trust. - Trust that 'click', the kind of click you feel when you think 'I could be friends with this person'. But of course, being friends and/or trusting people may be something you find particularly difficult, if so, talk to the therapist about finding it difficult to trust them, about your anxieties, and see how you feel about how they handle it)

- Me seeing/talking too certain people and finding it useful, doesn't mean that someone else talking to other people is going to work for them, I couldn't recommend psychoanalysis for anyone any more than I could recommend what kind of music they’re going to like, or hobby is going to suit them - at least without knowing someone pretty well first).

I can understand that you are feeling pretty anxious about seeing the psychoanalyst. This is natural. I know it's easy for me to say, but why not just take the plunge - the one meeting at least - be curious about it? It’s a new adventure in your life. And remember you can talk to the therapist about your anxieties - that's all part and parcel of therapy, it's what you can learn a lot from.

And, again, I would recommend reading more about psychoanalysis/therapy if you are worried... and I've already posted the links to start to find some useful reading matter, including the Mind booklet on their site and the Mental Health Foundation booklet (as mentioned again by Mischief above).

There are also lots of books in which people describe their experiences of psychotherapy. I’m picking two off my bookshelf – long time since I read them, but one is ‘One to One – Experiences of psychotherapy’ by Rosemary Dinnage (ed) in which she presents 20 people’s various stories and (mixed) experiences; and ‘The Words To Say It’ by Marie Cardinal, an autobiographical novel about her experience of psychoanalysis and considered something of a classic.

:) Anyway, hope some of this helps.
Take care,
Oneday

oneday

oneday

Hi Renee,

Go to the sticky at the top of this 'Recovery..' etc section/forum - that's the link, and that one works - it's on the site of the Mental Health Foundation. Probably the link didn't copy over properly.

:) Oneday

oneday

oneday

The sticky titled 'Talking therapies', that is.

mischief

mischief

Admin
Here is the post from Nickh:

The Mental Health Foundation have published a new booklet entitled 'Talking Therapies Explained' which can be downloaded via a link at.....

The booklet is a basic guide to why and when you might want a Talking Therapy, how to find them and (taking up about half the space and most importantly) a good basic description of the various types of Taking Therapy available.

It seems a pretty good guide and the only specific fault I have picked up (admittedly I am certainly no expert!) is in the definition of bibliotherapy which (as the leaflet points out) isn't strictly a talking therapy at all; the leaflet's definition is a very narrow one - the wider and more interesting one, which is being worked on in some parts of the country, involves the use of many kinds or reading, but especially fiction and poetry, in a therapeutic context.

It can also be said that as a whole it is simplified (as it must be) and idealised - there are bad therapists (just as there are bad doctors, plumbers etc.), it is often very hard to obtain talking therapy on the NHS, it can be a long process to find which particular therapy is right for you etc..

But given these limitations this is still a good place to start for basic questions about what talking therapy is and the various types available.

Nick.