• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Psychiatrist

T

telemetry9

I waited a long time to get an appointment (several months) to see a psychiatrist. She asked personal details about my own life (which i gave with great difficulty) - simply for her to turn around one day and say her and her department didn't have the facilities to help me. She then wrote a report to my GP which negated to mention her statement of not being able to help me and which I now think has damaged my relationship with my GP as me being a "problem" patient. When i got frustrated at my last session with her (when she told me she couldn't help me and wouldn't see me anymore) and then I told her how angry I was at her breaking my trust in this way she said: "you are angry with everybody" to which I replied "there is a difference between anger and frustration."
So - I really feel cheated by this person and I feel she manipulated the situation because she couldn't be bothered to see through whatever it was she had started. So now my Doctor has changed towards me all because of this doomed effort on my behalf to have some talking therapy. Apparently this therapist has a reputation of not "suffering fools gladly" - so I must be one of the fools she found wanting in some respect.
I just regret every going to see this woman because i know she has influenced my GP's opinion of me in some way and now I am even more isolated in that respect.
I am incredibly angry at the way this person treated me - so she was right in respect to her.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
Anger and fustration

I waited a long time to get an appointment (several months) to see a psychiatrist. She asked personal details about my own life (which i gave with great difficulty) - simply for her to turn around one day and say her and her department didn't have the facilities to help me. She then wrote a report to my GP which negated to mention her statement of not being able to help me and which I now think has damaged my relationship with my GP as me being a "problem" patient. When i got frustrated at my last session with her (when she told me she couldn't help me and wouldn't see me anymore) and then I told her how angry I was at her breaking my trust in this way she said: "you are angry with everybody" to which I replied "there is a difference between anger and frustration."
So - I really feel cheated by this person and I feel she manipulated the situation because she couldn't be bothered to see through whatever it was she had started. So now my Doctor has changed towards me all because of this doomed effort on my behalf to have some talking therapy. Apparently this therapist has a reputation of not "suffering fools gladly" - so I must be one of the fools she found wanting in some respect.
I just regret every going to see this woman because i know she has influenced my GP's opinion of me in some way and now I am even more isolated in that respect.
I am incredibly angry at the way this person treated me - so she was right in respect to her.
Telementary,

As with , most things, talking therapy seems to be so 'underfunded' in comparison to the amount of people needing it!
I am on a waiting list to see a psych- after about 6 months of telling Drs I do have Mental Health issues at times- but it took me to have a pretty low episode where I couldnt cope, to get my new GP's practice to listen.

It is so hard to deal with tring to get the help which you feel is right for you- when you are actually in need of it. But don't dispair, I know that you should be able to get help from somewhere- unfortunatley, I cant tell you what help, or where from- Im sure someone on this forum can make some suggestions, there is a tab to click on for getting help, I know it might not be what help you need right now, but I dont know what else to suggest.

Well done though for not getting too angry with the GP or other person you saw- that takes a great deal of strength to remain sensibley calm.

T

telemetry9

I recently spoke to my GP about what happened and she was kind enough to give me her version of events. She seemed annoyed that i hadn't taken the psychiatrist's offer of going to see someone else - but I just couldn't face going through it all again with someone as it took a lot of energy to trust the person I was seeing. At the time I did complain about what happened and was advised by the person I saw to write to my GP giving my side of events (which i did). However; my relationship with my GP has changed and she seems different towards me so I think that damage has been done.
After writing stuff down on paper and talking with my GP on the phone recently (i don't see or speak to her very often), she said she would go through all the hassle of preparing my case history and refer me to someone else for talking therapy. She was adamant that I should take the offer of seeing someone else if it didn't work out again as that would be seen as me being uncooperative. So - it seems I'm being labeled as uncooperative in some way because of what happened with the psychiatrist. I have had counseling in the past and it has been positive but the whole thing has left a very bad taste. I'm so angry it has effected my relationship with my GP as she was always very courteous towards me and that now seems to have changed.
So: I can't help but think that I have been at fault in some way but am not quite sure how. On a lighter note - I was so angry about what happened on the day the psychiatrist said she couldn't help me that I went across the road to the head of mental health after making some enquiry as to their whereabouts. I asked to speak to him at reception and was told I couldn't. I then said that I would not be leaving until I saw him (I kept myself as calm as I could). He eventually came down and I was able to tell him what had happened. It was a tough time for me and I was in a sort of a daze but i think i communicated well enough to explain what had happened from my point of view. He explained he was concerned about what I had told him and that I might be better going private. He seemed like a nice man and it helped to at least tell him what I had been told.
One more thing; it wasn't until later that I realized that the psychiatrist had a small voice recorder on her desk pointing towards me. I think she sort of new her "news" would make me angry and wanted to be prepared by recording our conversation.
When I look back it is as if she really manipulated the situation for her own strange point of view. If she had told me at the start that she couldn't help me then fine - but when I had done the difficult things she had asked me to do and then say she couldn't help me - really disheartening. I think that would have made anyone angry.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
a tough time

It sound pretty tough telementary

I know that its really horrible having to go over stuff with different people all the time
- but maybe
- imagine if they are offering another appointment with a different person- if you accepted it, and managed to go through everything AGAIN- I know haorrible and hard.... - well, who knows they might identify with your words?
-or maybe they could have a different area of expertise and recommend a different course of action?

Perhaps?

And as for the tape recorder- like me- she/ he probably has such a bad memory at times, that it just helps her to make her notes afterwards, OR she/ he may get their poor assisntant who wasnt in the room with you both, to type up brief notes for your medical/mental health file?

Im not sure on the last point there- but Im just trying to offer you a few different perspectives- as Im not sure how else I can support you-

a hug? :grouphug:

Try and stay positive, you're doing pretty well- hang in there

T

telemetry9

I spoke at my depression group therapy meeting tonight about how all of this has been so demoralizing to me. Even though it happened a year ago.
I was told because I had sort of complained I may have a negative point against me and my GP will now only be keeping our relationship to professional terms only. That she may now be keeping the "trouble maker" at bay sort of thing. This is despite me doing nothing wrong and only trying to defend myself a little. At the time I also thought - if this has happened to me then it is going to happen to other people. I couldn't accept that and felt I had to do something in my own way.
But it helped to hear that someone else had had similar experiences along the same lines.
I'm just appalled by the whole thing and how I have now been labeled as a result of this. I feel it is very unjust towards me.
I just want to say thanks Louise for your kind words of support and I appreciate your empathy.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
no problem T

Ive always (well almost always) got a few kind words stored up for the times when they may be most needed
- I think, thats today you needed a few of those kind words.

I think Drs and health proffesionals must find it hard not to get involved in their patients cases
- and really they need to try and stay objective to be able to make decisions in a fair way for all their patients

- and also if you get too close to a patient, it must be hard to see their case with as much objectiveness.

Life's a B*tch sometimes- but as they say, every cloud has a silver lining- but I find sometimes the silver linings are just hard to spot!

Night Telementary.
Sleep well.