• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychiatrist waiting times?

• Thread starter Low Frequency Oscillator
  • Start date
Low Frequency Oscillator

Low Frequency Oscillator

My GP has said she will try and get me referred to see a psychiatrist. She was reluctant as the funding isn't good for that service but it has become clear that I need one.

I'm expecting the waiting time to be long with regards to actually having the appointment but how long should I expect to wait to find out when that appointment will be? I just wish I could get a phone call or a letter giving me a date. Having a date would make me feel better, even if the date turns out to be many weeks away.

Much love to all <3

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

Unfortunalty waiting times vary across the country and NHS provider. When in Cheshire have to wait 3 months for an urgent appointment, now I'm down in Somerset, 2 weeks is normal for urgent appointment (though I have been seen the next day once when crashed out badly).

I wish I could offer you better hope.

Low Frequency Oscillator

Low Frequency Oscillator

Thank you friend. My GP said the waiting times "aren't long" but she didn't elaborate.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
If its just a general appointment you can wait months but if its an urgent referral it should be pretty quick. Therapy is usually longer as its on a waiting list and also does depend on the urgency. I was on the list for trauma therapy for 10 months and was told that was pretty quick as some have waited a couple of years

Low Frequency Oscillator

Low Frequency Oscillator

Thank you. I don't know if it is classed as urgent or not. I just don't understand why I haven't even been sent a letter yet. Maybe it's because they send them out nearer the time? :/