• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychiatrist said I have bipolar disorder is he right?

B

boffin1252

Just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I get extreamly low which last about 3 weeks thoughts of sueicide ect. I then go through about 2 weeks of of feeling happy or paranoide, spending loads of money on stuff I dont need, cant sleep, see many prostitutes. This happens about once a month. Just think its all in my mind and need to be a stronger person, to control myself.

I've been told I need to come off citalopram and go onto lithium. I've read that lithium is really toxic and long term use can cause kidney damage. I dont really want to take lithium. I dont see how taking lithium will stop me spending money on stupid things and paying for sex. Also stop me from being paranoied ect.

Would like to hear your views from people that suffer from bipolar.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Lithium is a good medication. You may only have to take it for a couple of years. You can try it and see how you feel, because you could feel so good. Life doesn't sound good right now.

Do you work?

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hypersexuality and overspending are classic and traditional symptoms of bipolar. I regularly experience these during manias as well as psychosis and delusions of grandeur too.
I was on depakote for awhile but after my last episode, when I was off my meds, I was put on lithium. So far I can’t report anything great with it but I haven’t been manic. I know that there are some risks/side effects in using it however my manias last a year that becomes essentially a path of destruction, delusion and high risk behavior. I more or less need anything that can help to prevent this from happening. You might find your manias to be not at all dangerous and manageable enough without medication. Should they become unmanageable or increasingly dangerous with risky behavior medication is an option that you should seriously consider. xo, j

Zero One

Zero One

I wish I could be hypersexual. I hate having sex with my husband due to sexual trauma and disgust and I don't want to cheat. I think it is good that you can get what you want/need I just fear for your safety but I'm not accustomed to prostitution although I have been mistaken for one more than once and in different countries. Ppl have also offered to pay me to perform sexual acts on me not thinking I am a prostitute. I don't look rough but I dress sexy ... frumpy for work, though😋. My mind used to get locked on some really hypersexual processing but I'm really fucked up in my mind so it led to delusions then hallucinations. I haven't tried lithium but the voices I have recommend it for me because I am "so bipolar"...my previous psychiatrist once told me my brain is just accustomed to extremes and I can't be normal, my brain just doesn't work that way. She said it as nice as possible, probably to get me to accept it. I don't have a lot of trouble with paranoia but the medicines I am on are good for that...Geodon and Abilify, both antipsychotics. I still have manias but they don't get so extreme as they used to now that I am medicated...I just feel mostly highs. Meds can change a lot but I still love shopping and money so I spend a lot but try to save too.

B

boffin1252

Lithium is a good medication. You may only have to take it for a couple of years. You can try it and see how you feel, because you could feel so good. Life doesn't sound good right now.

Do you work?
Yes I work I think I should tell work

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Is a psychiatrist ever right?

B

boffin1252

Hope they are never really had any experience with them.

B

boffin1252

I've had time off from really bad depression. Difficult to get out of bed. Said I had the flu. They might think I'm a piss taker if I tell them.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've had a few psychiatrists no luck so far...🙂

B

boffin1252

They are supposed to be highly qualified start off as Dr's first. But probably just prescribe what the drug companies say.

Z

Zaz

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Well I'm sure there's good and bad in them. Hope find a good one who can help you 🙂

B

boffin1252

Cheers. Just want to stop self destructive behaviour, and stop getting depressed.

L

luvyrself

Your wildly fluctuating behavior and the types of behaviors does sound like you are bipolar.
Tegretol is another stabilizer which is the one I have taken for many years.
Lithium is the "gold standard" drug to use as a stabilizer. It has been in use the longest.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I get extreamly low which last about 3 weeks thoughts of sueicide ect. I then go through about 2 weeks of of feeling happy or paranoide, spending loads of money on stuff I dont need, cant sleep, see many prostitutes. This happens about once a month. Just think its all in my mind and need to be a stronger person, to control myself.

I've been told I need to come off citalopram and go onto lithium. I've read that lithium is really toxic and long term use can cause kidney damage. I dont really want to take lithium. I dont see how taking lithium will stop me spending money on stupid things and paying for sex. Also stop me from being paranoied ect.

Would like to hear your views from people that suffer from bipolar.
When you do those things is it more an issue of a strong emotional urge? Or when they happen do you do it unconsciousness? There is a big difference between conscious and unconscious energy rises.