• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Psychiatrist asked to see my scars

Q

queerghost

I recently went to see a psychiatrist for my depression and they asked me to show them my scars. I said that it was something that made me uncomfortable but they seemed to want to see them for some reason. I didn’t show them but I’m just left wondering why they asked. I had told them my scars weren’t severe and that I wasn’t in any kind of danger.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can understand you felt uncomfortable and you have every right to refuse. Maybe they wanted to judge the severity of the scars. I am not sure but if you do not want to show them, you do not have to.

S

swillis

Might be a safety thing as mentioned. Sorry to hear you've self harmed, wish you the best and hope your okay.

P

Purpleplum

Don't do anything you don't want to do and tell them if they're making you uncomfortable. It's odd that he would ask that unless he wondered if you were really doing it or not....or maybe he wanted to see how old the scars looked.

Desdemona

Desdemona

Yeah, sometimes they ask that to get an idea of how severely you normally harm.
They're looking out for your safety, but you absolutely do not need to show anyone if you don't feel like it. I know it can be embarrassing or uncomfortable to have people see them.

TheSadnessWillLastForever

TheSadnessWillLastForever

They probably wanted to make sure you weren't lying and had no fresh ones. They learn to assume the worst I think

M

MerDreamer

When my psychologist asked to see my scars I firmly said “no” it felt good. To finally tell those people no there was something they couldn’t do to me needles and hospitalization or not. If it makes you uncomfortable don’t do it. Good for you sweetly. Boundaries.

Beorn the Bear

Beorn the Bear

Remember these people are there to help you. They are not your enemy. In most cases it's you seeking their help. In order for them to help you, you need to help them. Sometimes that means revealing things that can be a little uncomfortable. How badly do you want their help?

There is no advantage in going to someone for help with a defensive or combative mindset. You might as well not go.