• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychiatrist appointment

C

ChloeJ

I have an appointment with a private psychiatrist on Monday.im really nervous I really struggle to speak I saw an nhs one last week and she said I was wasting her time if I didn’t talk and that she had better things to do, I was so upset I got into such a state. I’ve phoned the crisis line, 111 and the gp and they all told me to go to hospital but I’m scared. I’m on aripiprazole injection atm but it’s not working so well was just wondering if anyone takes anything alongside it? Thank you so much for reading xx

Z

Zoe1

hi Chloe

maybe you can write down what you want to say
before going to appointments
I always do this because my mind might go blank
and I forgot what I was feeling

x x

C

ChloeJ

Thank you that’s a very good idea it is over the phone so I can try and make some notes xx

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi Chloe,
I'd do what Zoe suggested write down in points what you want to say, the dr should be there to listen to you.
She didn't sound very supportive.
Hugs

Finite

Finite

@ChloeJ I hope your experience with the private psychiatrist on Monday is better than the NHS one you saw last week. I have seen a private psychiatrist before and they had more time for me than most I've seen over the years on the NHS. That's not to say there aren't good ones on the NHS, there definitely are. I'd start by telling them you're really nervous and you struggle to talk, then maybe they'll be more understanding and better able to encourage you.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

It was back around 1981 when I figured out that you'd never get any good MHC help from the NHS...and I am sure I was dead right. Glad that I figured it out so quickly :). Sadly, unless you have lots of money, going private is hard. Former foreign secretary Jack Straw, wrote in his autobiography that he saw a private therapist twice a week (in London!) for ten years. He had married in to money.