Psychiatrist Admits Mental Illness Is Caused By Demonic Possession

S

schizolanza

I am not attacking you Schizolonza. I'm just questioning things. I'm not a Christian but I still have some love and respect for Jesus Christ. The concept of the Holy Spirit is still beautiful to me. I still have Bibles and Jesus candles. I'm just a confused mess. Religion has harmed and caused me to suffer so much. But I promise that I am not attacking any religion just questioning them. I'm definitely not attacking any member on this site either. :hug:
Thank you.
Problem is if you say you're a Christian people don't want to know you. Truth is I'm not religious. I don't even go to church. But I do pray and have very strong beliefs. I've had negative experiences soo many with churches too. If you asked me to take you to a great church that isn't full of assholes I wouldn't even know where to go. I wonder if such a place even exists.
But I am utterly convinced that Jesus is God. From experiences I've had. Real experiences. And that plus my own failings can make me unpopular I suppose.

S

schizolanza

I dig Jesus but you don't see many people living the way he preached, and self-affirming Christians seem the worst for saying one thing and doing another.
So are you going to live the way He preached?

S

schizolanza

Muslims, Boris Johnson was spot on, in the papers yesterday. Got a lot wrong. Not that though...

Not accurate to the year, but the notion is spot on...

So what did Boris have to say?

J

Jules5

I live the way Jesus preached. If I did not I would not be on this site to offer myself up to people in need. I have my own demons to deal with. And yes I believe in demons. Yes I believe in Jesus Christ. My life can be a pure living hell and it has been. And when the rain comes my way I am always happy. More so than when it is not around I think that is why I live in Florida always sunny but the rains do come so do the electric outages from Hurricanes. We do not have floods where I live just the tornados and hurricanes. Love and hugs to all

supergreysmoke

supergreysmoke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thought he said something about letterboxes although it might have been lunchboxes. This is a mental health forum. Relgious mania of all types should be allowed to co-exist here. So long as no one is gonna be stoned or run over or anything for a different opinion. Brings out the best in people does religion. Everyday people light candles or whatever praying to their own favourite delusion.

LizBo

LizBo

Like race/ethnicity/politics, religion can be an emotionally charged issue for many on the forum. In the context of this thread topic though, these might not have the influence we're looking for.

I'm interested in why a prominent psychiatrist/professor has opened up about his 'experiences', (not baseless opinions) putting his reputation and career at risk.

Science, religion and society at large are all quick to scrutinize anecdotal evidence from people who've seen it, felt it and been frightened to death by seemingly inexplicable events. It's for this reason I haven't disclosed many of my own experiences to clinicians and family.

[He] has put forward some pretty out-there information for us to talk about. Christianity has been woven into the fabric of Western culture over time whether we like it or not, so how his experiences relate to our mental health is a worthy discussion to have in my view.

If anything, the effects of occult practices/dogma in western society is probably a better direction. It's 'us' who've taken ancient primal ideology and played with it. Seances, psychic readings and mediums (I'd probably include exorcisms with this) have invaded our culture. For better or worse, it's made its presence known and just like religion, has become part of modern societal evolution.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Hi @AliceinWonderland
Thanks for the insight on your experiences
No worries, I don't mind sharing, it's no longer something that affects me, and I don't hold any ill will towards the people concerned, they were doing what they thought would help according to their beliefs. But ultimately it was not helpful to me, and their beliefs around mh were damaging to me personally.

It might be wise to read the whole article
Still haven't, just scanned the start, bit busy! But a quick google confirms the psychiatrist concerned is a legit Professor at a medical college in New York. And there are many articles in more reputable publications saying he does hold these beliefs about demons (again, only had time for a quick scan). So, I guess the headline is accurate.

Wikipedia info can be changed/edited through relevant channels.
***Meant to say; '...can be changed/edited by readers through relevant channels'
I checked out the Wikipedia entry for News Punch. It's well referenced so I don't think it's just someone's opinion, or someone trying to slur News Punch, it really is a website that publishes a lot of fake news mixed in with real stories. But in the case of this article it appears to be based on fact, the psychiatrist really does hold these beliefs. And I would question whether that's in the best interests of his patients personally.

supergreysmoke

supergreysmoke

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Think Tarot is better than the Bible or any religious text for spiritual guidance. I've the ryder-waite deck and sometimes use it to decide if a issue is worth following up. It's random but speaks to the sub-conscious. Very old deck full of symbolic imagery.

T

Turnitoffandonagain

Well clearly demonic possession does not exist. But psychiatry and the priesthood have a certain-amount in common. Both professions exist to some degree for the benefit of the clergy rather than the laity.

Both are not really science-based (though not to the same degree) and both have a tendency to explain-away negative results as being the fault of the 'client' for not believing sufficiently.

Currently having to decide whether to take up CBT again, but it's been made clear to me I have to 'believe' that my physical symptoms are caused by having the wrong thoughts before I can be treated, even though I don't find that any more plausible than being told they are caused by demons.

TiredTina

TiredTina

Admin
Critical posts about Christianity are a daily occurrence here. Anyone feel like doing the same to Muslim beliefs?
I criticized and questioned Islam and my post got edited. I've done the same with Judaism and christianity too. But those posts never got edited. It's a double standard and unfair to the Christian's on this site. I am sorry.
Our rules and guidelines state that "Posts that are or appear to be: ...intolerant of beliefs/religions... are likely to be edited or deleted" (Rules and Guidelines). This applies equally to all religions and beliefs. Please can all members report any posts that they feel break this rule and we will look into whether action needs to be taken. Thank you.

J

Jules5

Freedom of religion but not torture if you do not believe in certain persons view. I am glad we have these rules or we would be stuck like chuck.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
It might be wise to read the whole article
Done so now.

I'm interested in why a prominent psychiatrist/professor has opened up about his 'experiences', (not baseless opinions) putting his reputation and career at risk.
So am I!

It's his own words, a verbatim an interview I believe, so I think we can take it that words aren't being put in his mouth. And yes he's reporting things that he says he's actually seen with his own eyes.

The gist of it seems to be that the vast majority of patients that he's seen who think they may be (or it's been suggested by priests may be) demon-possessed, the explanation is that their symptoms/behaviour are a result of a diagnosable mh condition. It's only in a very few rare cases he feels there is no other explanation than the person is actually possessed by a demon. In his opinion.

And he has this opinion because he believes demon possession is a real thing, albeit very rare. He speaks very convincingly and in a level, scientific-sounding way about it. But just cos he's a 'scientist' (as he sees it, I'd dispute whether a psychiatrist deals in 'science') doesn't mean it's true. And just cos he sees no other explanation (psychiatrically/medically) for a person's symptoms or behaviour, doesn't mean he's right. He's starting from his religious beliefs and fitting the 'evidence' into that framework.

Just because doctors or anyone else can't find an explanation for something, it seems illogical and irresponsible to me to conclude 'therefore it must be down to malign spiritual forces'. There are plenty of things we don't have explanations for, and as science and psychological understanding advances, we find explanations for things that previously were a mystery, or in times past were attributed to demons or other 'magical/spiritual' forces.

I just can't get my head around someone in a medical profession thinking that way in the present century, and saying so in their professional capacity. It's not that he holds this belief in his private life and it has no impact on his work, it does impact. I find it concerning. I don't think it's helpful to people with mh conditions, because many worry about being 'bad' or 'evil' anyway (this thinking being a symptom of their illness), or about not being in control of their actions or feelings, and this just reinforces that, and must cause a lot of worry and stress for people thinking 'what if that's the explanation for my symptoms?'. I just can't see how a psychiatrist saying/believing this is helpful, and in fact I feel it's the opposite.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
I have seen demons in people. Scared me to death I would not go near anyone who used illegal drugs for anything.
How did you know that's what you were seeing, that there were demons in those people? Were they using illegal drugs? The effects of illegal drugs can be scary to witness I'm sure. But I'm not sure how this relates to demons. The chemicals in illegal drugs affect the brain/body/emotions of the person taking them, and produce the altered state of mind, and sometimes erratic behaviour that can be distrubing to see. But that's chemicals surely, and only chemicals, with a scientific explanation?

We can save ourselves. I have not figured out how yet no magic or casting out of demons. I just know we have it written in hearts and always have-Unlocking the heart should be what we want.
This I can agree with :) Yes I think ultimately, with help to find them (professional help or otherwise), we do have the answers inside us. Or at least that's been my experience. Digging deep into my psychological history, my formative years, has helped 'unlock my heart', and undo a lot of the damage :peace:

LizBo

LizBo

In a way I agree @AliceinWonderland however, my own understanding of what it's like to experience the inexplicable shows, just finding the right 'language' to express it in the first place can be as confusing as witnessing it.

Then there's the issue of who to discuss it with. Reaching out to Catholicism was obviously his way of seeking answers. He can't look it up in a text book or ask questions during a supervision session. I dare say speaking out publicly wasn't an overnight decision either.

He researched this with people who get it. What a load off his mind that would've been. Had he gone to leaders in the New Age community things may have taken a different direction indeed and could've influenced him to walk away scratching his head.

Now, he's put it out there for all to discuss; good or bad, it's got us talking yeah?