• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychiatric patients at risk of vitamin D deficiency

T

Ted_Hutchinson

Psychiatric patients at risk of vitamin D deficiency

Same thing is found in Australia.
Is this D vitamin to worry about? Vitamin D insufficiency in an inpatient sample.

If you are interested in understanding how Vitamin D is used in the brain then there is a series of articles here on Dr McCleary's Brain Trust Program Website.

While it is interesting to see the particularly high number of those with darker skins (less ability to make Vitamin d in sunlight) represented in the UK example we should not kid ourselves that having a white skin solves the problem.

There is a huge difference between the level of Vitamin D that stops us getting rickets and the level necessary to prevent a lot of other conditions.

This chart lays out the optimum levels to significantly reduce the incidence of many chronic conditions.

The UK adult averages 20ng through the year. above the upper level for rickets but well under half the level to reduce cancer, heart disease diabetes etc.

Each extra 100iu/daily/D3 you take raises status 1ng
So 1000iu/daily/D3 raises 10ng
so 3000iu/daily/D3 raises 30ng
I personally have found I'm not a good absorber of D3 and to keep my level at 60ng I require 5000iu/daily + as much full body sun exposure as the UK provides. You have to buy effective strength Cholecalciferol from the USA. Google 5000iu cholecalciferol vitamin D3 and you will find the supplier I use It costs me 4p daily as I buy 2 pots at a time. This is under the £18 VAT threshold so I don't have to pay tax on import. (or the dreadful handling charge the PO imposes to collect the money)

S

SallyS

Isn't that interesting?! I am currently looking at taking more VitD. And I can't remember if my homeopath said I am not metabolizing calcium or VitD. I'm taking something to help do that.

I'll have to inquire more on this.

I recently learned that most humans are severely deficient in Omega 3, which is reported to influence natural inflammatory response to pain? IE if you are a chronic pain sufferer (I am) and take Omega 3, it will improve your pain.

But sorry, won't hijack your post here. Thanks for the information!

T

Ted_Hutchinson

Isn't that interesting?! I am currently looking at taking more VitD. And I can't remember if my homeopath said I am not metabolizing calcium or VitD. I'm taking something to help do that.

I'll have to inquire more on this.

I recently learned that most humans are severely deficient in Omega 3, which is reported to influence natural inflammatory response to pain? IE if you are a chronic pain sufferer (I am) and take Omega 3, it will improve your pain.

But sorry, won't hijack your post here. Thanks for the information!
You need a high vitamin D status in order to absorb calcium from food sources or supplements. But raising your 25(OH)D status to 80nmol/l will do that.
If we assume you are an average UK adult ages 45 your current status will be around 55nmol/l and so another 25nmol/l will bring it to 80nmol/l and that requires 1000iu/daily D3.
However 80nmol/l is not the level for optimum feelings of wellbeing or lowest incidence of cancer.

Why stop at 80 when with 5000iu/daily you could have a level associated with lower incidence of many chronic conditions?

Substantially higher levels of omega 3 will help inflammatory conditions and inflammation is at the root of pain. Most of us need around 1.5g of omega 3 daily. I personally take 1.8g of EPA + DHA equivalent to six 1000mg fish oil capsules every day. I actually take 3 double strength capsules. I also take a krill oil capsule and plenty of ground linseed.

Magnesium is another anti inflammatory agent that most people are short of. Dr McCleary suggests in his book The Brain Trust Program that we should all take 600mg daily for the sake of our brains.

It is doing all three. 5000iu/d/d3 1.5g omega 3 and 600mg magnesium that has lowered my pain levels so that I no longer take any pain medication.

S

SallyS

Thank you for the reply ;)

Now I just have to figure out those amounts in Canadian measurements ... lol