• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychiatric Oppression Versus Human Rights

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
https://franktblankenship.wordpress.com/2014/12/18/psychiatric-oppression-versus-human-rights/

I had rather die with my “rights on” than live with my “rights off”. I think Nathaniel Hale put it best when he said, “Give me liberty or give me death.” Put another way, slavery is not the sort of institution that I feel needs reestablishing.

This is why I am dismayed to find people in the mental health system so brain washed as to be opposed to their own civil liberties and human rights. It is one thing to have another person argue for your subhuman status, it is quite another thing when you are the person arguing for your own subhuman status and maltreatment.

Even given these arguments, you are not going to find me arguing for inequality under the law. I don’t have to put words into your mouth when I can use my own. I am not a person to argue for treating human beings in such a dreadful manner.

The problem is that the opportunist, the careerist, who will do anything to hold onto his or her job, and his or her status, would do anything to keep that job, including joining in chorus with the person who argues for his or her subhuman status. These two birds have much in common, not rocking the boat, and upholding the status quo, as long as it serves their purposes, monetarily or security wise.

Arguing against the human rights of human beings is always going to be a threat to liberty. Should you sway your audience, a certain percentage of them could end up being treated as if they were less than human. The question then becomes, as was the situation before the 1860s, what group of people should embody that percentage.

Although the mental patients, oops, consumer movement may have overtaken the mental patients liberation movement, I still consider myself a part of the latter movement. I don’t think employment as a mental health patient or a mental health worker is the way to go. Out of both of these roles, what do you get? You get an expanding mental health system and an epidemic of “mental illness” labeling.

You can plead for your own abduction, torture, imprisonment, impoverishment, death, ignominy, etc. as much as you please. Don’t expect me to follow suit. The mental health system, based as it is upon fraud and oppression, is ultimately a form of parasitism, and all of us could live much better (and longer I dare say) without it.

I continue to count myself among the few who are completely opposed to the kind of fraud and imposture that the mental health system represents. Provide a use for your throw away people, a use beyond working the loony bins themselves, even the community loon bins, and you have, more or less, solved a big part of the problem. The system is a blood sucker, and it is the kind of a blood sucker about which you could say, when the problem has finally been dealt with, without the slightest remorse, good riddance!

S

supergreysmoke

The only answer, for the alternative is a slow death as gradually the python of the oppressive state tightens, is to fight back back. Not in a small way but one that maximises for them their worst fears. They are a existential threat. Treat accordingly. Yes, do not support the fraud that is the current paradigm. Fight back. A government must be afraid of the people not the other way around. The rebellion against oppression begins with one person, yourself.

L

Lilac

I am totally opposed to the Mental Health Act, the psychiatrist keeping me a prisoner said she wouldn't like to be sectioned so she must be aware it is cruel but she doesn't care. Everyone I know wants people locked up for life at mental institutions. In fact my mum implied it would be mental for me to go out at 7pm the other evening when she had on a previous evening gone out after 8pm. And my aunt who has cruelly worked on mental health detention wards doesn't want people to be well and keeps skiving work.

L

lovagemuffin

ok cpu but you cant expec to get help if you wont accept it you argue that you don't have any help and support but wont take any help and support that's offered.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
ok cpu but you cant expec to get help if you wont accept it you argue that you don't have any help and support but wont take any help and support that's offered.
There's no help or support from the system, other than drugs & benefits, the benefits for which i'm very grateful for - i've been fully discharged from services for over 2 years.

i've made use of many opportunities in the community - what i've ideally wanted hasn't been available.

i don't know what help & support you imagine is being offered???

L

lovagemuffin

there is no help from the system? only if you ask for help turn up and keep turning up.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
there is no help from the system? only if you ask for help turn up and keep turning up.
i disagree - depends what you consider help doesn't it.

i think it very much depends on the individual, circumstances, postcode, & very much how someone presents with their condition/experiences. i've tried many things to access more support - i could write a very long list with everything i've done. The issue/problem isn't me, nor has the problem been any lack of willingness on my part to deal with things.

i didn't write the article in the original post btw.

L

lovagemuffin

what is the issue then that the hole system should be changed from top to bottom?
lots of people do get help and support from the mental health team I didn't used to think so then got offered CBT therapy which has really helped but I had a break down then went to an assessment.
they assessed me and then gave me cbt therapy.
I live in a rural area too. I guess im saying try and get some help off them what have you got to loose?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
what is the issue then that the hole system should be changed from top to bottom?
lots of people do get help and support from the mental health team I didn't used to think so then got offered CBT therapy which has really helped but I had a break down then went to an assessment.
they assessed me and then gave me cbt therapy.
I live in a rural area too. I guess im saying try and get some help off them what have you got to loose?
i don't need to explain/justify myself to you. i feel largely abused by the system. i have tried many times to get more help from them & not been able to - it has been very minimal.

Some people do claim that they get a lot of help from services. i think some people get far more help from services than others - bipolar women usually.

Yes, i do think the entire system needs to be changed - i think it's a failed paradigm.

L

lovagemuffin

it just that if you complain about there being no help but don't accept the help that's offered its kind of not really a valid point.

L

lovagemuffin

how do you know until you turn up?

L

lovagemuffin

you can phone the mental health services at anytime they have an out of hours service that offers support on the phone, you can ask to have a CPN and a mental health assessment you turn up to that they assess your needs and offer you things like CBT councelling what ever comes up in your assessment.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
you can phone the mental health services at anytime they have an out of hours service that offers support on the phone, you can ask to have a CPN and a mental health assessment you turn up to that they assess your needs and offer you things like CBT councelling what ever comes up in your assessment.
Fantasy.

Doesn't work like that. i've tried to get referred back to services 4 times over the past 2 years - they refuse the referrals.

i phoned the crisis line in the Summer - they told me to go to A&E - the Doctor there told me to go for long walks, get a job & increase the medication. i saw the GP & he increased the medication.

in 25 years the only psychological support given/offered, after years of asking for it, was 10 sessions with an NHS psychologist - after which they refused me any more psychological help. The local LMHT also sacked their only psychologist some time after.

i was referred to some psychological unit by the GP earlier in the year -
For various reasons, that didn't make complete sense to me, they refused me any help.

They won't give me an assessment - i don't want their interference anyway at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator: