• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psychiatric labels and Structured Query Language

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Is anyone here tech wise? basic programming or database science?

I'm giving away my years of research/insights into mental health for free. I hope people, especially the younger generation are able to take my work and develop it further.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or DSM is the handbook used by professionals worldwide in Psychiatry as an authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders.

You guys who are tech wise I have a challenge for you, it may not be that hard either. When you guys were at college or maybe as part of your job you would know about a computing language known as "SQL" (Structured Query Language). Very powerful language. Well, what's so special? I've found that this language can simplify a lot of the labels in the DSM incredibly. It fits like a puzzle piece in response to the complications in labelling data. That's what I feel anyway after my own experiments.

SQL is very old (1970's) but still remains in high use today. Why is SQL so important and useful? SQL allows cross referencing of large data sets. It exposes redundancies and inconsistencies. It helps the user gain insights. Users can query and manipulate data and more.

Here is my first basic example:

My intention with the following query is to find redundancies/inconsistencies in the labeling system. Redundancies in life happen when there is an excess or something is deemed as not required (sad example is when someone gets the sack at work). Inconsistencies happen when something doesn't seem right or in order.

The following database query demonstrates what I believe to be a redundancy/inconsistency in the DSM because it lists some labels that share a symptom that are actually the same symptom based on the reality that at the fundamental level they operate the same way. These symptoms are being given different terminology but they are actually one symptom.

My query is:

"SELECT Disturbance.DisturbanceName AS Symptom, Label.LabelName

FROM (Label INNER JOIN LabelDisturbance ON Label.LabelID = LabelDisturbance.LabelID) INNER JOIN Disturbance ON LabelDisturbance.DisturbanceID = Disturbance.DisturbanceID

WHERE (((Disturbance.[ConditionProcessID])=1));"

When that query is run, the following resulting data is returned:

(Please see attachment)

ConditionProcess is the power behind simplifying these symptoms and exposing them as actually being one symptom. I apply ConditionProcess in my query into the DSM labelling and symptoms data. ConditionProcess basically is: "Perceive->Disturb->Provoke->Respond". That means that the above symptoms follow the same process. So my database looks for all labels that have symptoms that follow this process.

As you know all those symptoms do indeed follow that exact process which demonstrates they are indeed the same thing. And it doesn't surprise me, why? Because all those symptoms are all treated well through the same or similar methods not just with pharmaceuticals but also sleep hyigene, neuron recovery, social interaction, nervous system arousal through exposure therapy (habituatng to fears) and more. This isn't the case with all symptoms, just a certain subset within the DSM that belong together and should be classified as one symptom not different.

I hope that makes sense....

Attachments

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

The software I used to operate SQL was Microsoft Access. You can run your own experiments in that. There are a lot more queries to run and if I have time i'll demonstrate more. I believe there is some huge insights that can be gained guys...I'm retiring my efforts so I hope other people can take it on. I'm moving into other things now. I might be available however to answer questions. Before I go I am releasing my years of research onto this forum.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I know some of this may not make sense to everyone so with time and before I go I will clarify as much as I can

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

You can also query the database and ask such questions as "what are the previous names of labels in use today"

Or "What is the name of schizophrenia 50 years ago"

Or "which symptoms are treated more efficiently with sleep hyigene as opposed to exposure therapy"

Or "which anti-psychotics are known to cause the most damage"

etc etc

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Bipolar Forum 10