• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Psychiatric drugs cause permanent brain damage | The BMJ

• Thread starter Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale
  • Start date
M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

From the British Medical Journal:
We know that antipsychotics shrink the brain in a dose-dependent manner (4) and benzodiazepines, antidepressants and ADHD drugs also seem to cause permanent brain damage (5). Leading psychiatrists and the drug industry usually say that it is the disease that destroys people’s brain, but it is very likely the drugs that do it, which also animal studies have found. This is an important reason why I advocate that we should use psychiatric drugs very little, and mostly in the acute phase, if people are seriously disturbed.
This is why I'm on the lowest dose of aripiprazole: 5mg.

Rowan

Rowan

That is one of the reasons why I came off my anti-psychotic after 6 weeks. Also why I don't take antidepressants at all anymore.

Mario82

Mario82

Yes this worries me a lot as well, as someone on an anti-depressant and an anti-psychotic. I can't seem to cope without them though.

Mario82

Mario82

Thanks for the hug Rowan x

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Gosh! I’m on three different antipsychotics and a very high dose antidepressant. Very worrying. :(

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Gosh! I’m on three different antipsychotics and a very high dose antidepressant. Very worrying. :(
I used to be on high doses of psychotropic meds, including antipsychotics, but have now tapered them to the minimum amount. Meditation can reverse brain shrinkage caused by the antipsychotics.

U

user9898

All medication can be harmful but the disease can sometimes be even more dangerous, especially psychosis and depression. I think people should treat these diseases but when they're stabilized, try to taper them and perhaps stop them if they're feeling better.
Also, there are no definite proof that these meds cause brain damage. There seems to be animal studies and some MRI studies in humans but that doesn't mean that everyone who uses these drugs will get permanent brain damage, if they were that dangerous, they wouldn't still be around after 20-30 years.

Cabra

Cabra

All medication can be harmful but the disease can sometimes be even more dangerous, especially psychosis and depression. I think people should treat these diseases but when they're stabilized, try to taper them and perhaps stop them if they're feeling better.
Also, there are no definite proof that these meds cause brain damage. There seems to be animal studies and some MRI studies in humans but that doesn't mean that everyone who uses these drugs will get permanent brain damage, if they were that dangerous, they wouldn't still be around after 20-30 years.
They would be, it's big business. In the future antipsychotics will be seen like lobotomies are now.

J

Jules5

Cabra Right on the Money with the future of antipsychotics. Let me screw with your brain shake it up a bit with medications-I have tapered down on my meds. But my anti anxiety drug has me in its grips.

My greatest fear now with this Coronavirus is I will not be able to get my meds. I am Schizophrenic and the best thing for me is the meds.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

From the British Medical Journal:

This is why I'm on the lowest dose of aripiprazole: 5mg.

Would you like to give us the full reference to the paper and a link if possible?
Quoting from a Journal but not giving the full reference is a strange thing to do.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Well, get one team of statisticians and they will prove one thing and get a second team and they will prove something else. And always remember, the university team in America that found perfect correlation between sales of butter and the rates of divorce in one state over a period of time. Correlation can be amusing, but there's no suggestion that there is a causal relationship between butter sales and divorce, or vice versa, and that worth recalling whenever 'Big Pharma' is around :evil:.

Cabra

Cabra

Cabra Right on the Money with the future of antipsychotics. Let me screw with your brain shake it up a bit with medications-I have tapered down on my meds. But my anti anxiety drug has me in its grips.

My greatest fear now with this Coronavirus is I will not be able to get my meds. I am Schizophrenic and the best thing for me is the meds.
I've been diagnosed schizophrenic quite recently, wrongly I feel. I felt better before meds, now i'm a mess. I understand for some people the benefit, but I was asymptomatic with historical symptoms referenced only and still being forced to take meds just because of the diagnosis. Would rather be on anxiety meds.

fazza

fazza

Great.
So have we have a choice. A fucked up full sized brain that does not really function and gives us no stability and gives us a poor quality of life.
Or
A slight loss of grey matter but better stability better quality of life and a reduction of symptoms.

I see that the the pro's to medication have not been commented on.

There are far worse medications to be on and if your choice is to live a life of torment when you have no other options to turn to yet worry about the loss of grey matter and still choose a life of hell then I think you are not choosing very well.

JustMe1982

JustMe1982

great. now when the apocalypse comes i will be too stupid not to be eaten. 😀