• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Psych ward

N

Nina998

I was put in a psych ward today for a depressive episode. This is the first time this year so it's some kind of a record. This is my 8th time at this ward in two years. So I am a regular customer. All nurses remember me.

This time I went to a hospital before I did something to myself. Seems like I've learned something. I was wise enough to ask my husband take me to a hospital. I was actually here yesterday too. I waited four hours to meet a psychiatrist then I gave up and wanted to kill myself.

I am not planning to stay long. Maybe 1-2 weeks. I've been in this situatuation so many times I know what helps me. I want to be pro-active. I also want ECT. And I need to get over this crisis at hand.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Nina, what incredible progress! :hug:

Congratulations on taking control and getting help BEFORE the crisis. Wonderful news!

Sending you so much love and good wishes that you continue to grow and master your problems. Xxx

N

Nina998

I've been almost two weeks in a psychiatric ward. They started two new medications and ketamine infusion but none of that is working. Only thing that has improved is eating and Lithium poisoning has been taken care of.

Pdoc wants to send me home on Tuesday. I am staying a night at home right now and I know I am not ready for home life. On the other hand my family needs me. This is not easy for them either. Kids are quite fine but my husband isn't.

I am afraid ketamine won't work for me. I wanted ECT but there was 3-4weeks waiting. I hope pdoc puts me back on waiting list. I don't want to go through all six ketamine infusions just to find out it's not working and I have to wait a month to get the one and only treatment my illness is responding.

Anyone has good experiences on ketamine?

C

Consideration

Hi Nina,
I know your frustration! finding the right medication can be a long process with many readmissions and setbacks.
What is your diagnosis?
After 4 admissions in one year for aggressive type 1 Bipolar psychosis, mypartner had her medication changed to Clopixal which is not available in some countries - the positive is she recovers in 8 days and gets discharged after 3 weeks but the stress it causes to the family is not nice.
Be persistent and keep the pressure on your team to help you and you will get the results you so very need.

Rich

N

Nina998

My diagnosis is bipolar type 2. I have some psychotic and BPD features. I am now on Lithium, Quetiapine, Latuda and Deprakine. I went through two times Ketamine infusion but my illness is not responding to that either so they won't put me through third time. I am still hospitalized and I am back on ECT waiting list. So hopefully ECT starts sometime in 2-4 weeks. The situation is not hopeless anymore now that I know ect starts. It's been 8 months since my last treatment.

GaryC123

GaryC123

I was put in a psych ward today for a depressive episode. This is the first time this year so it's some kind of a record. This is my 8th time at this ward in two years. So I am a regular customer. All nurses remember me.

This time I went to a hospital before I did something to myself. Seems like I've learned something. I was wise enough to ask my husband take me to a hospital. I was actually here yesterday too. I waited four hours to meet a psychiatrist then I gave up and wanted to kill myself.

I am not planning to stay long. Maybe 1-2 weeks. I've been in this situatuation so many times I know what helps me. I want to be pro-active. I also want ECT. And I need to get over this crisis at hand.
I think it's good that you have learned when to seek help. It sounds like you are taking some good, positive steps in managing your illness. I wish you the best in coping with a mental illness. You are not suffering alone, we are all here alongside you to help if we can.

C

Consideration

Hi Nina,
I know your frustration! finding the right medication can be a long process with many readmissions and setbacks.
What is your diagnosis?
After 4 admissions in one year for aggressive type 1 Bipolar psychosis, mypartner had her medication changed to Clopixal which is not available in some countries - the positive is she recovers in 8 days and gets discharged after 3 weeks but the stress it causes to the family is not nice.
Be persistent and keep the pressure on your team to help you and you will get the results you so very need.

Rich
ECT scares me because of the effect it has on memory.
Considering you had it a few times what is your experience?
The KEY is to ask for help - Sarah recognises the symptoms of voices and always thinks she can beat them but ALWAYS ends up in the hospital.
Best of luck with your treatment.

Rich

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ECT is a bit scary yes but it works, at least for a while. Cant get it here on NHS anymore. I would take it in a heartbeat

C

Consideration

ECT is a bit scary yes but it works, at least for a while. Cant get it here on NHS anymore. I would take it in a heartbeat
Really? What about memory loss?
Sarah has come off Quetiapine (800mg) to be replaced by Clopixol.
Clopixol is only 200mg Deport every two weeks (just started-2nd inj) and she is severely depressed and back to hearing voices in her sleep.
With restless legs at 200mg does not give me confidence she is on the right med.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Clopixol is only 200mg Deport every two weeks (just started-2nd inj) and she is severely depressed and back to hearing voices in her sleep.
With restless legs at 200mg does not give me confidence she is on the right med.
I can only speak from experience. One person having good effects does not mean its for everyone, im well aware of that

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Yea sorry i should have qualified my statment by saying in individual cases. My mistake

N

Nina998

I've been given ECT around 30 times so I've got some experience. My memory is gone and cognitive skills weakened but it's only thing that works for me. I don't care about side effects anymore.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I've been given ECT around 30 times so I've got some experience. My memory is gone and cognitive skills weakened but it's only thing that works for me. I don't care about side effects anymore.
Yup subjective experience. What works for one may not work for another

N

Nina998

Finally some good news!

There was a cancellation in ECT unit and a pdoc managed to get me by four weeks waiting list as an urgent patient.

The first treatment is already tomorrow and I just found out today.

Finally my dark world looks little bit lighter. Finally there is little hope things will get better.

I am also going home. Going home feels good now that I now there is hope.

C

Consideration

Finally some good news!

There was a cancellation in ECT unit and a pdoc managed to get me by four weeks waiting list as an urgent patient.

The first treatment is already tomorrow and I just found out today.

Finally my dark world looks little bit lighter. Finally there is little hope things will get better.

I am also going home. Going home feels good now that I now there is hope.
Fantastic news Nina,
Wishing you the very best, let us know how it goes.