• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pstd

• Thread starter Sarahwilkinson drink
  • Start date
S

Sarahwilkinson drink

Need help understanding ptsd i feel like im not normal and so angry

L

llcoolj42

Hi Sarahwilkinsondrink. I was just diagnosed with ptsd after losing my dad at age 16, Im now 42. It has brought on dark periods of anxiety and depression. There is nothing abnormal about you, you are just struggling. have you seeked any help from your gp? lots of love

Bod

Bod

Hi Sarah, I suffer from CPTSD so might understand some of the pain you are going through, and it really can destroy us mentally and physically and emotionally and to even and move slowly forward we need to talk and see a counsellor/therapist as that is what I did in my past. I still work on my self for my other mental health issues and now they are manageable with having the right meds and using this forum.

K

Keesha

Need help understanding ptsd i feel like im not normal and so angry
There are some threads to view in this PTSD section you are in now but there’s a complex PTSD that explained and both of these terms and the therapy is similar.

S

Sarahwilkinson drink

Hi Sarahwilkinsondrink. I was just diagnosed with ptsd after losing my dad at age 16, Im now 42. It has brought on dark periods of anxiety and depression. There is nothing abnormal about you, you are just struggling. have you seeked any help from your gp? lots of love
I had counselling and put on meds but never took them as a ex partner gave me sleeping tablets without me know so now left me paranoid about medication xx

Bod

Bod

Your doctor will know what to prescribe you, so please put the trust in them as your ex was totally bang out of order.

Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Hi Sarah, I also suffer from PTSD from several abusive relationships I have been in. It is something that really needs daily work and attention on our part. I agree with Bod that a huge part of understanding and taking steps in the right direction in your therapy is by meeting with a counselor/therapist. I also feel a daily journal is a good thing as well. Medication can also be helpful.

S

Sarahwilkinson drink

I will get an appointment they should now what therapist gave me thankyoy

S

Sarahwilkinson drink

Hi Sarah, I also suffer from PTSD from several abusive relationships I have been in. It is something that really needs daily work and attention on our part. I agree with Bod that a huge part of understanding and taking steps in the right direction in your therapy is by meeting with a counselor/therapist. I also feel a daily journal is a good thing as well. Medication can also be helpful.
Thankyou my kids dont understand and walked away and i get angry upset and in very dark places is that nornal

S

Sarahwilkinson drink

Im so sorry i know how that felt when i lost my grandad he was my everything

Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

Thankyou my kids dont understand and walked away and i get angry upset and in very dark places is that nornal
It certainly can be normal as you are reaching out for support and they don't understand. That is going to upset and angry you. This is why you need someone to sit down with like a therapist and just talk out your feelings. A therapist is someone who is a professional and impartial to what is going on. Your kids are people who are connected to you and that makes it so much harder for them to understand this sort of thing. I hope I am making some sort of sense here.

S

Sarahwilkinson drink

It certainly can be normal as you are reaching out for support and they don't understand. That is going to upset and angry you. This is why you need someone to sit down with like a therapist and just talk out your feelings. A therapist is someone who is a professional and impartial to what is going on. Your kids are people who are connected to you and that makes it so much harder for them to understand this sort of thing. I hope I am making some sort of sense here.
You are thankyou so.much im.out of the abusive relationship and re married i do feel.sorry for my husband what he has to put up with just feel so damaged

Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud

You are thankyou so.much im.out of the abusive relationship and re married i do feel.sorry for my husband what he has to put up with just feel so damaged
I do know how you feel because I have been in several abusive relationships and just got out of one 2 weeks ago. I feel sometimes there is no one who would even want me because I am so damaged and used now. I also feel if there is someone who would want me they are the guys that just end up abusing me again and again. I sometimes even feel I deserve it as that is all I am worth. Then I have those good days where I am like there is something out there for me. Right now I am not even thinking about relationships and men. Taking a long break from it all.

K

Keesha

Anger is a huge part of PTSD. Most abuse survivors have been shoving stuff down for years.
I do know how you feel because I have been in several abusive relationships and just got out of one 2 weeks ago. I feel sometimes there is no one who would even want me because I am so damaged and used now. I also feel if there is someone who would want me they are the guys that just end up abusing me again and again. I sometimes even feel I deserve it as that is all I am worth. Then I have those good days where I am like there is something out there for me. Right now I am not even thinking about relationships and men. Taking a long break from it all.
Feeling worthless is a huge part of the disorder, so much so that many survivors don’t come forward since they don’t feel they are worthy enough of help.

Repeated abuse changes how you feel about yourself. Survivors often become people pleasers; the perfect victim for others to abuse.

After a while of getting used we have a difficult time trusting others and become hyper vigilant.

Repeated damage from abuse helps us create a lifetime of negative thought patterns which we struggle with each and every day.

Medication helps.
Journal writing
Regular exercise
Hobbies
Eating well
Reducing stress

K

Keesha

Another big head game 🤔