• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

(pseudo)tourette and bipolar

E

Edyon

my partner had a bipolar mother, a childhood with economic insecurity, phisical and verbal abuse. he manages his job but still has some symptomes of bipolar disorder, like hipomaniac episodes, followed by melancolic ones, when secludes himself in dormitory for days, watching tv series with courtains blocking the light. no sex. in manic crisis he talking a lot, not listen to people from the pub we are drinking in, telling them „dont tell me, i know”, even if he obviously dont know annything, shouting at me for small things, arguing a lot. he is hypersexual and drinks tremendously. he sleeps little, calling friends at 3 am and finally sleeping at 10am or 1pm.
all in all, even if he is kind of bipolar, he is still functional, maybe a bit weird for others.
anyway, in one of these manic episodes, he started to develop a kind of tourette - he cant help himself not to say „u-pup-up” in the midlle of the sentence ori even when he kept his mouth shut. After some hours he started to accompaniate those sounds with uncontrolled convulsive movements of his left arm.
has anyone with bipolar experienced this kind of pseudotourette manifestation?
sorry for my poor english, it is not my native language.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Hi Edyon. That's a little strange. Does he take any medication? Or other drugs?
I've only ever had uncontrollable convulsive twitches due to medication a few years ago. The verbal side is something I've not heard of.

How long do these episodes of hypomanic behaviour and melancholic behaviour last for? A few days at a time? Weeks? Longer?

(Your English is better than my Romanian. 😊)

E

Edyon

no. he refuses any kind of drugs, he didnt even assume he has a problems. he will loose most probably his job if he will be registred with this diagnosis so it s kind of existentisl pressure not to assume any mental problems. however i realised a week ago he inherited bp from his mother. my sister who worked as nurse in a psichiatric hospital told me he obviously had a mental problem. i was angry of her in the beginning but finally i also conceded she was right. you know whai i mean, when you like someone you will avoid the truth finding instead other explanations for instance as he is so assertive cos his chav attitude, he is confruntational cos of alcohol and educational complex (i m more educated) etc. we ve known each other for an year i can see the pattern of his behaviour etc. but not in detsils. for instance he is amazing humpsy (i mean not spending money, spending me instead him even if he earn 3 times more than me), but in the manic episodes he borrows money to any acquintance; he borrows 2500 euro to the cleaning lady for his home. i ll heard him offering money as loan to a an old friend that he didnt see for 3 years (his friend leaved the country years ago). he calls friends at imposdible hours at 3 am. etc etc.
i dont know exactly periodicity - for instance now he is in depression for 4 weeks. the manic raptus takes longer, maybe 2 or 3 months. it s hard to estimates cos in that periods he drinks a lot starting since he awakes and eats nothing most of the day. so it s hard to discerne manifestations of alcohol and thr mania. i m also an alcoholic. when he dives in melancholia stop dtinking.
i repeat he is functional at job. but i cant go with him at my friends cos he is nuclear bomb, distroys any party and discussion. otherwise he is not violent only talking bulshit & distroying any talk around. ah, he also self diagnosed as ocd.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Okay. The phases last quite a while, weeks at a time, so he needs to see a doctor.
He won't think anything is wrong with him in the manic phases, in the depressive ones he might actually think it himself, although he may keep that to himself. I assume he will be scared of ending up like his mother.
It's probably best to try and speak with him about seeing a doctor now, whilst he is in a depressive phase, as it sounds like he will be impossible to deal with when manic (as expected).
Drinking a lot, spending a lot, all the things you've mentioned, are things you'd expect to see from Bipolar, I just don't know how he's able to hold a job during all that!
He likely won't want to go to a doctor but you have to get him to one as you won't be able to continue living like that, either you or him.
One idea I've just had, which would depend on him and how he would take it, would be to record him when he's manic and show it to him when he no longer is. This could help in convincing him of how serious his problem is and that he needs to see a doctor, and it would also be good to show to the doctor too, to help in diagnosing the problem.

E

Edyon

tahnks a lot, but not. he has a soft form - not like his mother -, he is functional at job, he has some friends at home, some relatives who talk with him, some colleagues that solidarised with against some silly bosses. maybe i exagerated showing his simptoms, dunno. they are not yet clear to myself. he ve met one years ago, until then he managed by himself - his last relationship was 3 years ago, no one cares of him. he learn his own defence mechanismus to cope with his problems - odc seems a kind of coping, like he constantling sourveilling himself by means of ocd not to pass some unaceptable borders; for instance, he denied even now in melancholia phase to accept his problems and to talk about them - simply i cannot start a discution and i m not convinced it is good for him, he need his job and he managed with his routines he created. i dont think it s good for him to deconstruct them, for instance he is fucking cold, but i think it s part of the same defence mechanismus that protect him for emotional shocks. he is kind a survivor type - ok, he maybe lost the money borrowed to the cleaning lady, but otherwise he borrowed them to relatives, friends, colleagues. he told me obsesively „in my job we should give up our proplems at the entrance of the company”. he will be fired he will be registered with this kind of issues.
so, if he refuses any kind of medical help, what can i do for him, during the hypomanic and melancholic episodes?
thanks you.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I fear he will lose his job eventually, this is not something you can turn on and off when you want, some day soon it will likely come when he doesn't want it to and anything could happen then. Add giving money away and that doesn't lead anywhere good. He could end up losing his job and still have episodes like this where he's giving money away, money you can't afford to give away. Then you could end up in debt, which can add pressure. What happens if he has no job, debt and becomes severely depressed? This is a bad combination and will end badly if he doesn't get help. You have to find a way to get him to accept speaking with a doctor.

E

Edyon

thank you but lets suppose he cannot ask for medical help and refuses pills (others than homeopatic and naturist placebo stuff) cos of his job - and besides he made his own routines to cope with his problems, before meeting me. so, what i can do for helping him, during the hypomanic and melancholic periods?
thank you

Wishbone

Wishbone

It sounds like an impossible situation. You've said he won't get help, you've said he won't listen to reason, and you've said he'll carry on having these episodes with you caught in the middle of it all. I don't know what else you could do but he needs help.