• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Prozac, doesn't work

M

mrsmiles

I've been on a subscription for prozac (fluoxetine) for months. I've tried taking it at 80mg a day, which is 20 more than it's licensed for. But it doesn't do very much to me. I've also been taking ?olanzapine (zyprxa)?, an anti psychotic.

Is prozac the best it gets, or do things like lithium work any better?

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

There's loads of different drugs but they don't all do the same thing. You have to put a certain amount of trust in the docs who know which do what job. Lithium is a mood stabiliser and is mostly used to treat people who are bipolar (get manically high as well as depressed). Alternatives to prozac include citalopram, venlafaxine, seroxat, sertraline, mirtazapine etc etc etc. As you rightly say, olanzapine is an antipsychotic and there are lots of alternatives to that too. I'm not so up on them as I've never has to use them myself.

Anyway, if you feel prozac isn't working I suggest you go back to the doc and see if a different drug will help.

A

Affective

I've been on a subscription for prozac (fluoxetine) for months. I've tried taking it at 80mg a day, which is 20 more than it's licensed for. But it doesn't do very much to me. I've also been taking ?olanzapine (zyprxa)?, an anti psychotic.

Is prozac the best it gets, or do things like lithium work any better?
I used to be on Fluoxetine and it took 12 weeks for it work for me! However when on Effexor (Venlafaxine) it only took 9 days.

You have to keep in mind that medications work differently for everyone. When I was on Seroquel it didn't help me at all however many people say it works for them excellently.

messymoo

messymoo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It can take a while to find the medication that works best for you, maybe you could see the Dr and think about trying something else there are so many out there to try so don't give up hope yet

Messy x

C

Clementina

Some medication, may work well for some people, and work un well for other people, even if the people take the medication for the same illness.