• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Prozac advice needed

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
just wanted to ask if anyone has found it better to take prozac in the morning or at night?

i normally take it at bedtime but the psychiatrist said it could be taken either in the morning or at night so not sure whether to try changing - just want to feel better for more of the day - at present i feel drug has lessened by 2.30 so i find afternoon/evenings quite difficult. i have other meds i can take at these times though

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hi Anne, just spotted your post. I take 20mgs just after breakfast - I'm slow to get going of a morning due to pain and stiffness. Mine starts working at least by 2pm. Give it a try and see how you go.:)

M

Michael

Founding Member
When to take Prozac

Strange this one, I was told to take mine (40mg a day) first thing in the morning.
I would love to say I can feel the benifit but I can't - but my wife says different, she knows if I miss a day fairly quickly!

Recent press has had me feeling a bit weird, they say it doesn't work except in a very few cases, it makes me feel even more marginalised.
It even makes you question what the Doctors say, paranoa really starts to hit home, then self esteem issues hit as you think the Doctor is just 'palming you off' and to then top it all off your self confidence just dissappears!

So when to take it (or not) I can't say but your thread has certainly got me thinking. It would be very interesting to hear what others have to say

Michael

D

Dollit

When I took antidepressants I always took them in the morning. I'm not sure if there's any logic behind taking them at night.

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
have taken meds in the morning past two days and I have felt that I was able to achieve more - but perhaps my depression is lifting a wee bit - I took the tablets at bed time because i thought they helped you to sleep.

still taking other meds at bed time as i still want to get to sleep

D

Dollit

Not having taken antid's for about three years I can't swear to this but I don't believe that there is any sedative effect to them. Have you read the Patient Information Leaflet that you get with them? :)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
When i was on prozac i took it about 8am .
It didn't work for me tho.

I'm on 2 anti-d's at the moment and i take one lot in the morning and the other lot at night , it seems to be working i think . But am having a meds reveiw next month.

I think the reason some take meds at night is so that the side effect's don't bother them while asleep.

robbo

robbo

Founding Member
prozac

Hi dunglen,just saw your post about prozac,I take 60mg in the morning,I was told that they build up in your system over two or three weeks so it doesnt really matter when you take them,but when I first took them I was on 20mg a day and that made a difference as I think,like you,they were wearing off mid afternoon,someone else told me they interfere with your sleep,but I sleep better now,I used to wake up and move the furniture around during the night,very tired during the day!!!!,try and take them in the morning!! hope you are feeling better.:)

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Haven't taken Prozac for a while but I've just had my dose of Venlafaxine increased and have been told to take morning and evening as I suuer A.M.:)

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I used to take Prozac in the morning but take my current AD at night