• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Proving Illness to DWP?ATOS

S

supergreysmoke

Get the feeling they don't read notes and I need to prove I'm ill. Know it is a bit extreme but considering seriously harming myself to show them I'm ill....? They need some kind of physical evidence of this serious mental illness I've been diagnosed with for quite some time. It'll hurt like hell, better than starving in the gutter because I can't fulfil all their sanctioned ideas. Hopefully it won't come to this, have to wait and see if the post sends anything that tells me what to do from them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gajolene

Gajolene

Don't you do any such thing. :eek: there has to be a better way through an advocate or the doctors. Sorry I had to edit out your specifics on harm to forum guidelines.
Was just about to log out for bed when I saw your post. I hope some of the people from your side of the pond can give you some good advice to help you find a better way. So frustrating fighting the red tape, in these situations..huge hugs

S

supergreysmoke

Shouldn't have posted it, feeling in a corner at the moment.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i am sure they do read your notes and will see you are need to be on benefits. are you on benefits now?

S

supergreysmoke

I think the expectations of the authorities are a trigger for what's been building for some time. Never was good at taking orders. Got this rebellious side.

S

supergreysmoke

If their intention is to distract from the thieving bankers and corrupt politicians via a mental health crisis they are going the right way. I guess the money savings that come from folks suicide or dire impoverishment is cancelled out by the lawyering costs for the occasional times when folks who are ill lash out and kill someone....that's likely to be zero sum equation for them?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I must admit, i've had similar thoughts.
They are pushing people who are vulnerable - can't believe there hasn't been a news story of someone actually doing something to harm themselves at Atos.
Perhaps someone has, but they're covering it up.

Anyway, not entirely sure what I can say to make you feel better but offering you solidarity.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
amathus Benefit request refusal letters are proving 'valuable' for local GPs, says LMC Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
hanging_in_there Anyone else who can't work due to mental illness? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
S Contents insurance cover for serious mental illness, any advice please Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
H Disinherited because of mental illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
I Severe mental illness and work Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
D didnt declare my illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
F What does it take for Tories to feel compassion for the poor? We can now take 'mental illness' off the list Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
U Pip new illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
F My thoughts on there being ‘no stigma’ around mental illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
N esa and illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
N Do those for whom drugs don't work get stigmatized more for their mental illness? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
Seashell Applying for job, should I declare mental illness?? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
F Mental illness not usually linked to crime, research finds Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
F Stigma of mental illness is (still) a barrier to care and help-seeking Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
K What jobs are good for mental illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
T Illness as ‘Deviance’, Work as Glittering Salvation and the ‘Psyching-up’ of the Medical Model: Strategies for Getting The Sick ‘Back To Work' Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
shaky Has anyone applied for PIP because of mental illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 34
lostgirl19 How would you explain how your illness affects your capability to work? (for WCA/ESA) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
Fallen From Grace NYTimes Article about Mental Illness Discrimination. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
F Finally – legal proof that disability benefits test is unfair for people with mental illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
F Declaring mental illness - Why are people obsessed? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 40
F Fighting mental illness stigma in the classroom Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
A the benefits trap - double bind of having had mental illness Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
F What If We Treated EVERY Illness The Way We Treat Mental Illness? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
S DWP Performance Related Bonuses. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
Fairy Lucretia currently on phone to dwp Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Z got a DWP letter today Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 46
S DWP Email Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
Funnyday DWP wins legal case to block future benefit appeals Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
daffy DWP official stats for PIP as of Jan 19 Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
R waiting on dwp phone Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
R letter from dwp asking about savings Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 26
S DWP Staff Grades and Bonuses 2019 (FoI Data redacted). Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
T DWP Work Related Activity Group issue Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
N The DWP?! Well, For The Better! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
I JC /DWP keeping in contact Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
W DWP waste more money. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 9
W Warning!! DWP Mail to Wolverhampton address! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
S PIP tribunal success but DWP aren't paying Discrimination! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 24
yellows Phone call dwp Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 281
B DWP Has No Record Of My ESA Assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
B Pip, dwp, capita Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
E I won my appeal against the DWP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 10
E The DWP are making my dog ill Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
D Face-to-face assessment postponed because of DWP computer problems Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
R No face to face, advice sent to descion maker at dwp Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
shaky PTSD about DWP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
cpuusage DWP presentation on ESA plans confirms worst fears about green paper Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
cpuusage DWP 'tells disability benefits assessors to discriminate against people with mental health conditions' Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
cpuusage Sufferers with progressive and mental illnesses have benefits cut by the DWP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 42