• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Prosac

S

Sporkie

I've had a year's long depression. I've tried different antidepressants with no relief. My psychiatrist put me on prosac yesterday. I start it next week. Anybody have any experience with prosac. Is it working? Do you have side effects?

Manicotti

Manicotti

Prozac was the first medication I was ever on. I dont recall having any side effects, but they are definitely possible. It made me feel fantastic and I was back to my old self.

Though because I have some inexplicable problem, it stopped working after about 7ish months. I am currently on my 13th medication after 5 years of fighting. I dont say that to discourage you, but to say that there's a lot of options out there and sometimes you just need to find the right one.

You've got this!

S

Sporkie

Thanks for your reply....I'm sorry you've had to try so many medications. You'll hit on the right one sooner or later! Hang in there.....there's light at the end of the tunnel.

A

alwayscrying

Prozac was the first medication I was ever on. I dont recall having any side effects, but they are definitely possible. It made me feel fantastic and I was back to my old self.

Though because I have some inexplicable problem, it stopped working after about 7ish months. I am currently on my 13th medication after 5 years of fighting. I dont say that to discourage you, but to say that there's a lot of options out there and sometimes you just need to find the right one.

You've got this!

A

alwayscrying

Hello
Can you share which medication you are currently taking. I have been on multiple meds too but not finding one to work for me. Thank you.

Manicotti

Manicotti

Right now I am on Escitalopram and Lithium. Neither are working for me. Lithium usually works for really bad cases, so it could work for you potentially

S

Sporkie

I'm on cogentin for tardiv dyskenesia, hydroxazine for anxiety and abilify that is an antipsychotic that helps depression too but it makes me really hungry.

A

alwayscrying

@Manicotti , Is Escitalopram Lexapro? If so, i was on it for 5 1/2 years, but it stopped working this past June. I am on Lamictal and Prozac. Not working yet.

A

alwayscrying

@Sporkie ; I never heard of cogentin or hydroaxine...the dr. wanted me to add Abilify to my lexapro but i didn't want to. Too many side effects I was afraid of.

A

alwayscrying

Escitalopram is Lexapro
Sad thing is the drs don't know what drugs can help us. We are just an experiment and it many weeks before they try something else. If prozac doesn't work for me. I really don't know what to do next. I want to stay in the SSRI category. Have you considered the nasal spray for ECT? I might be getting desperate.

Manicotti

Manicotti

I'm feeling pretty desperate too as I'm on my 13th medication. It's so bad I haven't felt safe for a week. My psychiatrist said I should probably go to the hospital, but I said nah because I'm stubborn lol

Manicotti

Manicotti

At the hospital they gave me the wrong medication for 5 days because the doctor wasn't careful when writing it into the computer

A

alwayscrying

@Manicotti ; Hi, did you go to the hospital? How can the dr. order incorrect drugs?? I hope you will start to feel a tad better. I don't have an appt. with my dr. until Jan. 22 (only video). Hope I can last that long with the drugs I am currently taking.

S

Sporkie

Manicotti....I'm sorry you're going through this. Many years ago a hospital psychiatrist put me on the wrong medication and I got really sick. I don't remember days at a time when that happened.

I started prosac on Monday and I'm feeling better already....I haven't napped during the day since Monday and I usually sleep. It's hard to wind down at bedtime but I'm managing it.

I hope things get better for you :)