Pros and Cons of having Mental Health Team

R

RollingJovi

I am starting to realise that mental health teams are really more of a hindrance than a benefit. They don't do anything worthwhile and they just fob people off with excuses and bad attitudes. My psych doctor called me a "bully" cos I disagreed with his opinion, not something I expected from a long serving psychiatrist in the NHS. Now I have put through a formal complaint to the NHS trust he works for and I am considering knocking the whole psychiatry team on the head and backing away from them. My care coordinator is just as bad and told me to download some CV templates from the Internet and apply for jobs as I cannot be signed off sick forever? Well it was never my intention to get a mental health issue such as paranoid schizophrenia with constant hearing voices and be off work long term anyway!! Didn't realise the NHS had gotten worse than the DWP at this point. What are peoples views on this and has anyone actually followed through with getting rid of their mental health team?

Would the DWP accept other evidence from GP's and family/friends? Or is the mental health team the only ones that hold the key to that?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if you refuse to see them they'll put that down as a symptom of your illness and get heavy in insisting on seeing you, if you just put up with them, they haven't resources will quickly close your case

depends as well on how you behaved in crisis

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

really depends on your severity and what you need i am too far gone for someone to come out to see me for 1 hour a day when i cant function really depends on your situation

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i doubt it has much to do with what you need more whats available

N

nightmare57

I have periods where I loath the the support I get from services, this is normally around the time when I'm in a decline and am paranoid about conspiracies against me. This is when I normally disengage but because I'm on a community treatment order if I disengage too much I can be recalled back to hospital which has happened a few times.

When I'm well I do like the support I receive, the support does keep me well and out of hospital. My care coordinator from the LD team is great, he wrote me a very good supporting letter for my ESA/PIP. He never pushes anything on me I don't want to do like jobs or voluntary work, He never mentions about how I should take responsibility like CMHT staff always do if I miss a depot appointment even though they don't work with me or know me. I have had poor experiences with the CMHT which I'm thankful I'm not under. I have a good relationship with my care coordinator, he's always got time for me, always awnwers his emails and calls me back when I can't get hold of him... I think that is the case all over in the learning disability team. Its a far better service to be under. CMHT is over stretched and under funded where as the CLDT isn't.

T

Trekster33

I'm a bit mixed regarding whether the mental health team are any good to be honest but that needs my own thread to explain.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i think on balance i don't agree with mental health teams forcibly treating people, though i would evict neighbours of drugs if they create a nuisance and if they're found dead under a bridge i'd say it's better than the alternatives

and i'm getting old enough to need nhs physical care whether i agree with the torys cutting the nhs resulting in bad stories which they then use as ammunition for dismantleing it

i remember the stories of psychiatric abuse in the past and think how they're now used to justify psychiatric neglect, i remember the user movement paid people who'd support care in the community and whats more be convinced they were doing the right thing

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Confusedandanxious

I'm about to be discharged from them. I cant say that they have done much to help me in all honesty. They've just been there while I've slowly pulled myself back on track. Fobbed off treatments I've suggested. Offered treatments and then never mentioned them again. They now tell me I dont need trauma work, because i function quite well at the minute and I'm apparently "mentally well" when in reality i know for a fact i am not.

I am in a much much better place than i was a year ago, but with some of the correct treatment i could be the best i could be (i think). In my opinion, it was worth a shot. Only after being told repeatedly that i was on the waiting list, to then being told my CPN would do the work with me herself, to then having it swept under the carpet and to now being told that they dont think I need it.

So not only am i being discharged without correct treatment, I'm being discharged with them stating that i am mentally well. Which could in turn mess up my benefits which will be a massive problem for me if that happens as I am not well enough at all for work. I cant even go on daily walks like I used to - but I get the impression they think it is laziness rather than anxiety.

T

Trekster33

I had to go to the MP twenty times over five years to get EMDR trauma work and support. I wrote to them using the advice the Mind legal line gave me.

C

Confusedandanxious

I had to go to the MP twenty times over five years to get EMDR trauma work and support. I wrote to them using the advice the Mind legal line gave me.
That is terrible! I'm glad you finally got it though.

T

Trekster33

That is terrible! I'm glad you finally got it though.
Thank you that was after 28 years of having my mental health problems brushed under the carpet.

Currently trying to convince the mental health team to accept me on a managing emotions course, but they don't seem to understand why I have demand avoidance. My GP and social worker are both going to have a word on my behalf.

If you're aware of a trauma treatment that could potentially help you, ring the mind legal line and get their assistance in fighting to get the treatment you need.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i rang the mind legal line they said their field of expertise was sectioning law, i said it's a great comfort to know if i end up sectioned you can get me out and back into this awful area

admittedly it's a while but they used to fob a lot of people with community issues with that