Prolonged Exposure - trauma therapy

C

Cath Artic

Hello,
I am interested to communicate with someone who has went through Prolonged exposure therapy. I started this therapy in January and I am finding it tough going.
I understand it is difficult, but would like to learn about other peoples experience of it .... does it really work?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi there.

After my therapist diagnosed me he gave me this book :
https://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-Y...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5SB58WQDR4XS3F407334

and we started doing the book and trying to do exposure therapy but it just really didn't work too well for me because I have way too many traumas,and different types of traumas,way too many different types of symptoms and triggers for it to be very helpful.

That was just my experience though,and I had been diagnosed with a dissociative disorder along with PTSD,but I do believe it is helpful and works for people.

How do you think it's helping/working so far?

C

Cath Artic

Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it is helpful, but understand it will make things worse before better. Is so very hard and I hate doing it! I too have multiple trauma and my emotions spiral off to other things! I was diagnosed with EUPD with disassociation.
I just feel like running away from it all ... But nowhere to run. I'm stuck between the devil and deep blue sea! I'm worried that it won't work and I go through the trauma for nothing.

C

Cath Artic

Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it is helpful, but understand it will make things worse before better. Is so very hard and I hate doing it! I too have multiple trauma and my emotions spiral off to other things! I was diagnosed with EUPD with disassociation.
I just feel like running away from it all ... But nowhere to run. I'm stuck between the devil and deep blue sea! I'm worried that it won't work and I go through the trauma for nothing.
I guess I am looking for hope. And maintaining a recovery has been somewhat difficult for me for many years now... I feel so vulnerable, fragile

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm sorry,I didn't mean to make you feel it's hopeless or anything.Of course there's hope that it may help and work.I guess I will explain a little more of how things went down for me.

My therapist thought that once he diagnosed me we could start on exposure therapy and there would be pretty fast improvement.But he realized right away that I had a dissociative disorder so the book and the work were stopped,everything was just too chaotic to be able to have structured sessions.We worked on the dissociation and after awhile(years) I was able to learn how to sit with the feelings instead of dissociating in sessions and we were able to start addressing the traumas.And then I was able to start doing homework outside of sessions.

The dissociating was my biggest obstacle.Once I learned to be able to tolerate even approaching any of it things improved slowly from there.

It's hard,extremely hard.I think it's probably a bit easier for those that have a single trauma,or maybe even two,but when there's multiple ones it all just seems too overwhelming.But don't give up hope and keep working at it.

I guess I shouldn't have said it wasn't very helpful,I should have said it wasn't very helpful at first.

C

Cath Artic

No, nothing you said made me feel hopeless. I'm having to use blind trust, if you know what I mean, and my negative thoughts , cynical I am. I'm not dissociating in sessions I don't think. But I am all over the place and find it hard to stay on track ... At times I forget the question I'm answering or the point I'm making .... I feel like I am overwhelmed, I spent so many years trying to forget it and detach from it, then years of anger trying to figure it all out and confront it. But it has such a hold, I can't let it go.

C

Cath Artic

Thanks for replying. I'm weighing things up and is good to hear all views. I agree a single trauma seems easier to treat. My therapist said we might have to do prolonged therapy on one of the other truama which is different to the abuse we are working on now.
I'm grateful for your time and consideration, thanks