• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Procyclidine...

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone here has been prescribed Procyclidine before. If so, did you experience any side-effects or adverse reactions while taking it?

Also, has anyone been on both Procyclidine and Quetiapine together? Any reactions at all?

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Hi Purple Chaos.

I was put on chlorpromazine (Largactyl) during one of my early hospital admissions. It made me feel dizzy, and my head tight, like the flow of blood to my head was cut off or something. I told a nurse, and he said it's a side effect, and procyclidine could be prescribed to counter it.

I took the procyclidine, which led to constipation, something which makes me fret and anxious all the more.

In the end, the docs agreed to take me off chlorpromazine, and onto Thioridazine (Mellaril) instead. The Mellaril didn't make me dizzy, so I came off procyclidine too.

I've been on Quetipine (Seroquel) too, but didn't have procyclidine with it.

Constipation is the only side effect I recall from the procyclidine :)

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Thank you.

Constipation's a pain in the bum! (so sorry, I just couldn't resist that one :)) but if it's the only side-effect I get, I suppose I can cope with that.

I've only been taking it for a few days but I've been getting very dizzy when I get up too quickly (hypotension?) and wondered if this was connected.

I've just have to see how it goes.

Thanks again for your response, it's much appreciated.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

In my experience, most of the psychiatric meds have their different side effects, and if it's not one thing, it's another, and they vary from person to person.

Take Clozaril, for example. Among other things, it rendered my speech unintelligible. I knew quite a few people who have been on it, and they could speak okay. I only knew one other person who struggled with his speech, so it's a rare side effect, but it's horrible :yuck:

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Good grief! That sounds awful!

I know what you mean; I don't think anyone escapes without at least a couple of side-effects thrown in. I had a few issues when I started on Quetiapine (nothing as bad as your reaction to Clozaril, thank goodness) but most of them disappeared after a while. Trial and error, I guess.

It just gets a bit ridiculous when you end up on several different meds, which you're only taking to counteract the side-effects of another medication!

F

flatz

In the nineties I was taking Chlorpromazine and procycladine for psychosis.

In the last three years have started taking it again together with Invega sustenna for paranoid schizophrenia.

procycladine can give me dry mouth and constipation.

It can also give a buzz.

Get some kwells for the dry mouth.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

In the nineties I was taking Chlorpromazine and procycladine for psychosis.

In the last three years have started taking it again together with Invega sustenna for paranoid schizophrenia.

procycladine can give me dry mouth and constipation.

It can also give a buzz.

Get some kwells for the dry mouth.
Thank you Flatz.

The dry mouth part is not good. I already get dry mouth problems from the Quetiapine so taking the Procyclidine on top has made it worse than ever. Hey ho. I haven't noticed any other side-effects so I'll just see how it goes.

Thanks again. I hope you're well.

C

Clandestine Rob

I've been put on procyclidine for abilify induced akathisia, works great as well , only problem is I wanted to see what all this fuss was regarding a procyclidine buzz so last week took far too many and yea, most fun I've had in ages actually it felt like a low dose of mcat so now I'm gonna have to be careful that I actually keep enough of them back for the damn akathisia! I must point out that I'm definitely not advocating this behaviour it's just at the moment my life is in the toilet and it was a stupid thing to do to escape.

Peace

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Restless leg syndrome is shit. That horrible feeling that if you don't keep constantly on the move, you'll burst - as a mate of mine put it years ago, to describe of akathisia :)

C

Clandestine Rob

I really like procyclidine day... I say day coz my weeks worth is now lucky to survive 24hours, it's a lot of speedy fun, lucky for me akathisia seems to have gone by natural causes. This is very stupid behaviour by me but I have so little enjoyment of life I'm allowing myself to misuse it. If the abilify akathisia came back at any level I would go back to using procyclidine as it was intended but before that happens I will allow myself some chemical fun I am not recommending this kinda behaviour I've just got a thing for stimulants and I can no longer get any street ones so this have to do. the doc said he only gonna script it for a few months i get 5mg twice day scripted so quite low really I think the max is 10mg three times a day. I don't know if it's good luck or not that the aripiprazole akathisia has gone.. I now get to enjoy the fruits of 10mg aripiprazole every day with no akathisia anymore coz if I still had the akathisia then procyclidine would be used as directed. Hmmm I hate life it's just too weird.

Peace